Mastitis

Help Support CattleToday:

*Cowgirl*

Reaction score
I want ot know everything about it and it's treatments/cures?
Contagious? I don't think so?
What causes it?
Are older cows more succpetible(sp)?
Have never had issue with it before, and now have coupl of older cows with it........ :mad:
Help?

Depends on the type how well the possibility is for cure.

Some like strep can be easily kicked with IMM drugs like Pirsue, CefaLak, Amoximast, etc. Other cases like E. Coli can be fatal. Milk can vary from slightly flaky and no swelling to no milk, just clear fluid, the cow running an elevated temp, and extreme swelling in the infected quarter. Extreme cases can also result in the complete loss of production from one quarter.

It IS contagious, to varying degrees. Thus the reason why milkers wear gloves. :p Can be spread through contaminated towels, inflations, and on your hands.

*Cowgirl*":3qtncrtq said:
I want ot know everything about it and it's treatments/cures?
Contagious? I don't think so?
What causes it?
Are older cows more succpetible(sp)?
Have never had issue with it before, and now have coupl of older cows with it........ :mad:
Help?

Worst bug for a dairy cow to get, usually hits the older ones (not always though) is staph aureus, hard to cure, usually will result in a quarter getting dropped. E. Coli can be deadly in the coliform mastitis stage, cause gangrene, and will kill a cow if left untreated, even with treatment, if gangrene has set in, the cow is done. J-Vac use to vaccinate entire herd, will prevent E. Coli bugs. As born2 run stated unsanitary procedures in the barn are the main cause of mastitis in dairy cows. The older the cows get the more likely they will develop problems, dropping a quarter is a solution or culling, just depends on how much milk she gives in 3 vs. 4 quarters, worth it or not.

Hope this helps

Gail

I remember being on farm tour back in the seventies. We stopped at the research farm in Beltsville Md. At the time they were doing mastitis research and were trying to give cows mastitis. They tried over milking cows, under milking cows, dirty equipment and about any bad management they could think of.

They were having trouble getting cows to come down with mastitis. Go figure! I must have been a pro, my cows would get mastitis with out even trying.

Latest posts