mastitis

Help Support CattleToday:

mark2

Reaction score
OK heres the story , i have a murray grey cow that had twin heifer calves they where both backwards and i lost them both that was a week ago , I have been looking for a calf to put on her . in the mean time I have only been able to milk her 2 times the latest yesterday (tue) 1 side of her sack has mastitis the other was fine I got around 1 gallon of milk out . my neighbor called today and said he has a free martin that I can have for $50. so tommarow I am going to get it to put on her . and here are my questions. 1, where do I give the shot of antibiotics in the cow to treat the mastitis? 2, will her having mastitis harm the calf? 3, what is the easiest way to get a cow to except an adopted calf. PLEASE all info is much needed and greatly appriciated thank you in advance Mark

Mastitis isn't going to hurt the calf, but it isn't very nutritious either. :p The cow also may not want to let the calf nurse off those quarters. And...one gallon is barely enough for one calf per day. She's probably started to dry herself off and you'd have to supplement the calf until the cow starts producing again.

If you want to give it a try, use a mastitis treatment like ToDay (lactating cow formula) rather than a shot - the ToDay stuff will work better, and you're going to want the mastitis cleared up asap. That said, I can think of several cows off hand that went down with calving problems and were milked intermittently like yours has been...even with antibiotics the cows was never the same. One had two quarters with mastitis, she 'lost' one and the other only partially recovered. My opinion - if the cow looks good right now, ship her while she's still doing OK.

1. 20-25cc Penicillin in the muscle daily for 4 to 5 days.
2. No.
3. Patience, persistence, and luck. There are many threads on this Board that contain all kinds of tips on getting a calf grafted onto another cow - close proximity, commercial sprinkle on products, cow's urine, grain, etc. Use them all along with a good dose of sticktoitiveness and you will get it done.

Latest posts