mastitis in pre-weaned heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I have a couple cases of what looks to be mastitis in two pre-weaned heifers. Never seen it before - one swollen quarter. Gonna have them up in a couple days to check out. Anyone seen such a thing?

angus9259":2gzcbky5 said:
I have a couple cases of what looks to be mastitis in two pre-weaned heifers. Never seen it before - one swollen quarter. Gonna have them up in a couple days to check out. Anyone seen such a thing?

Never had it happen to one that young. Have had two instances where bred 1st calf heifers would have one quarter swell due to mastitis...I milked both out (mostly water and a few clumps) , infused each with a tube of dry cow treatment. One eventually as ok but the other had actually ruptured up in the back of the udder and lost the quarter.

kenny thomas":1l9aac4i said:
Might be but I would think it is where another heifer has sucked them. Watch them but it might be too late.
That was my first thought

I had the same experiance as Jerry. I had one that had a swollen quarter as a calf (I assume mastitis) that I talked myself into keeping for a cow. She just had her first calf and that quarter is dry. Live and learn.

snichols264":2z9cfuhh said:
I had the same experiance as Jerry. I had one that had a swollen quarter as a calf (I assume mastitis) that I talked myself into keeping for a cow. She just had her first calf and that quarter is dry. Live and learn.

Vet came over today for a bunch of stuff. Her first question was whether I'd seen other calves sucking on them - I hadn't but there's a lot of stuff going on out there I probably haven't seen :eek:

Her suggestion was what you all have already found out . . . salebarn. She said they normally have no problem growing into mature animals, but if kept for a cow they will almost always lose at least one quarter if not more.