Mastitis in my Jersey

Help Support CattleToday:

ljgossett

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a beef cattle board, if so..please forget the question....I just recently bought this cow, as a family milk cow... and within a week or so switched from hand milking to a used machine~ Within 3 days she got mastitis, and now I have been treating her Since Sunday, today is Thursday... My question is this... She appears to be drying up... little to no milk~ Will it come back?? and if so, how long will that take?
She was AI'd several months ago... i went back to hand milking.. and massage the bag, but still are getting clots/stringy milk from the bad quarter... what do you all think?

Wash your hands throughly and keep hand milking her.
Have you talked to a vet yet?
Where did you get her from?
If you got at an auction yard there is a chance that she had it before and the other people did not want to deal with it.
What are treating her with?
Were you stripping the bag after you used the machine? I have heard that sometimes a machine will not get all of the milk out and causes mastitis.
I hand milk my Jersey.

Well.... i bought her from a friend... She was not purchased from an auction... The family that had her got her down to milking one time a day... and she was like this for months.. The days I had her she was producing 2.5 gals per day.. I thought I was stripping her... but probably was not doing a good job.. I hate being new :shock:

Anyhow.. i do wash her and my hands with a bucket of antibacterial soap warm water...pre spray out 5 sprays or so.. then into the bucket... There is just nearly no milk coming out... i keep massaging her bag... and then get more... and work out the clots.. So i am wondering how long this will go on and if she will get milk back? Her bag seems really hard near the top of the side where the bad quarter is....but not the other side.... much softer... then at the end, i am stripping alal the way, and then using a teat dip....

I have talked to the vet... and they have me giving her 20 cc's of pen 2 x per day for 7 days and using ToDay teat injections 2 x per day for 4 days...

I think I've answered all the questions... :D Do you think her milk will come back?

thanks
linda

P.S. i would love to hand milk her... but my whole arm goes to sleep during milking and the rest of the day...

What are you feeding her? Are you giving her any grain?
I would keep stripping that quarter. It should be soft not hard.
Personally I would dry her up, but there is a chance of her milk coming back.
When was she AI'd?
When you were finishing up milking did you massage the bag at the end? Some say to slap the bag like a calf, but I don't feel like getting kicked out of the pen so I massage.
How long has she had the mastitis?
How old is she? Did she ever have it before?

Keep milking and stripping her out.. it may come back. It's hard to tell how severe the mastitis is. I've had them come back to milk!

Latest posts