Master Cattle Producer Class

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I had my first class in the Master Cattle Producer Program last night. Judging by the book content this should be allot of fun and very informative. Especially the business portion. Has anyone else completed this course and found that it helped them be a better cattleman?

I did.

It really helped me a lot. Not only did it give me reference material that I still go back to, but it put me in contact with knowledgable people with LSU and Federal conservaiton programs; not to mention the fellow cattlemen that I met.

I also became BQA certified so that I could take this MBP class (prerequisite in my county).Mostly I am doing it to get the extra incentives offered by the state's ag improvement program. I will take the extra learning along with it however. Any thing that is beneficial gleaned from the course is money in the pocket potentially.

For those that are BQA certified, and have their Premise I.D. there has already been a lot of State monies available for Handling Facilities, Bulls, Herd Evaluations, etc. The cost share for Hay Storage began January 2, 2007, and from the way I hear it is on a first come, first serve basis, or possibly even by a drawing, with the number of requests that have already been received.

UT Extension guy said last night that 6,000 applications for hay barn money have been submitted for the roughly 3,000 payouts expected. That was a statewide number. :shock:

HOSS":1q2hl3zf said:
UT Extension guy said last night that 6,000 applications for hay barn money have been submitted for the roughly 3,000 payouts expected. That was a statewide number. :shock:
Planning on building another Hay Barn, this Spring, but I'm not holding my breath for State Funds.Gonna go ahead and pre-buy materials.

Been pre-buying materials for the same purpose myself Crowder. Got most of my 6x6 posts and 4x4's.

We took our application in to d/o/a on Jan 2. We've already bought semen and a squeeze, we're really hoping we can get some help on this hay barn.

We did bqa and premis. MBP should start next month. It's the 1st one the county has had.

How could they pay 100% for a set of scales?

*Cowgirl*":57daoprx said:
We took our application in to d/o/a on Jan 2. We've already bought semen and a squeeze, we're really hoping we can get some help on this hay barn.

We did bqa and premis. MBP should start next month. It's the 1st one the county has had.

They don't pay 100%. They pay up to $750.00 on any one item such as a Squeeze Chute,Working Pens, or a Bull that meets State requirements.There is NO 100% re-imbursement.

Crowderfarms":18gk0baq said:
*Cowgirl*":18gk0baq said:

They don't pay 100%. They pay up to $750.00 on any one item such as a Squeeze Chute,Working Pens, or a Bull that meets State requirements.There is NO 100% re-imbursement.
That's what I thought, cause we sure as heck didn't get 100% on our chute.......

Latest posts