Massive Bunch on neck of steer

Help Support CattleToday:

putnamd

Reaction score
One steer has a hugh growth of what appears to be warts or maybe ring worm on the top side of its neck. There are other out croping of these on different parts of the neck. I applied some old ivermec but have now waited probably too long and it seems to be larger. recently I applied blue coat as it says its good for ringworm. could this be anything else? could anyone advise a site for pictures to help identify what it could be? THis is especially a masive growth (almost size of a football) (warts on top of warts or what kind of looks like a 'brain' growth) with smaller ones around.Maybe I need to be patient and see what the blue coat will do? None of the other cattle has any signs if its ringworm. The steer eats well and seems very healthy otherwise. whats your thoughts, suggestions? :help:

sounds like warts. looks like cauliflower...will probably run its course. same for ringworm but it doesnt sound like ringworm. ivermectin wouldnt help either of these anyway, ringworm is a fungus not a worm.

do a search on here for "warts", ive personally never had to treat any before.

If it is warts, you may want to contact your vet. We had 1 get them really bad so the vet gave a wart vaccine (took 3 shots) and it cleared up. With just several we smash them with pliers and let them fall off. We use monostat-7 for ringworm (generic form).

we also had a steer that had these growths, they turned out to be warts, a virus and as already stated in this forum they will run their course and fall off, they are also contagious so other cattle may get them, they just look ugly, dont worry

Old wives tale says pull them of and put them in thier feed so they will eat them. I have never done it. Try and tell me how it works. Really pull it off and treat the wound. Vacinate if you have others.

Scotty

oh, how many times have I typed this before...if warts for sure..... here is simple and free solution......pliers............squeeze warts while still on animal...leave warts on! this causes animal to defend against the large amount of wart virus that is squeezed back into the blood stream......mounts a very efffective defense against same. Warts fall off much sooner then if left alone. :cboy:

Thanks to each of you for responding. I am quite sure now that it is warts as it does look very much like cauliflower. He has several large bunches with the huge one- but doesn't seem to be getting any more. So I will let it run its course. All the others seem fine. ;-)