Massey Hydraulic System

Help Support CattleToday:

BigBear

Reaction score
Recently my Massey 65 3 point quit lifting bales. It happened all of the sudden. The 3 pt would lift the bale spear but wouldn't pick up a bale or any implements. I figured it was the hydraulic pump. So I ordered a new one ($206 not too hateful). Installed the new pump, which was very easy and straight forward, and now it raises great but will not lower. Much smoother than before (not so shaky). Anybody have any suggestions? I believe the pump and linkage is pretty similar from the 35's through the 65.

Thanks JL Trent. That was a good read. I spoke with a guy I work with that restores old tractors and he turned me on to a guy at a Massey dealer that he knew that had been through a lot of Massey's. This fella sent me some pages from his manual (which looked 50 years old). Ended up it was an adjustment on the pressure control lever. It took me a while to get it dialed in. It was a very fine adjustment.

Now that I have it going up and down I will stab a bale and make sure we're all squared away.