massey Ferguson 230 questions

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
Just got it and the both power steering cylinders leak. Has anyone done a DIY repair? I plan to call a Hyd. Cylinder shop for quote to repack cylinder. Next I have another leak near the seat, its hydraulic fluid. I am gusing its for remotes maybe? Currently looped back into it self. What is this called?

Ive always called it the rockshaft housing . It looks like an add on for remotes I would pull it off and you should be able to make a gasket pretty easy for it. if no lever controls it could be where the HYD fluid was dumped back in when it did have remotes added.

I've repaired on cylinder myself and had the other redone at a hydraulic shop. About 100.00
Difference.
Here's the page outta the manual.

I'm familiar with the other . But I don't know what it's called or exactly it's purpose. I do think I recall it seeping some fluid when working hard in hot weather. I'll go through the manual as soon as I get a chance

Ran out and took a look at mine.
There's a Allen head bolt in that hole were your leaking. Knife point is in the Allen socket.

You got a screw loose.?

It looks to me like the bolt pointed here is were your problem is.

I will check more this weekend Fence and getback to you. I do believe you are correct as it appears someon tried putting JB weld over that bolt area. I am going to pull the piece off this weekend when up there. Thank you for the help
Is that manual specific to the MF 230? I need to find one

Fence, what was the total charge to repack the steering cylinder at a shop? My local shops will not give price without seeing them and tractor is 100 miles away. I think I will bring it home this weekend and get it cleaned up and see if I can get the leaks stopped

The first one I ordered a kit from blackland equipment in temple. The kit was about 30. 00 and pretty simple rebuild. The second time I was in the middle of a job and pulled the cylinder and took it to a shop. The charged me 150.00 to rebuild.
I've been out of town. When I get home in the morning. I'll start texting you pages out of that service manual.
Tickled to help

callmefence":2rr2f1dg said:
The first one I ordered a kit from blackland equipment in temple. The kit was about 30. 00 and pretty simple rebuild. The second time I was in the middle of a job and pulled the cylinder and took it to a shop. The charged me 150.00 to rebuild.
I've been out of town. When I get home in the morning. I'll start texting you pages out of that service manual.
Tickled to help

Thank you Sir for the info and help. For 30.00 or so I will try it. I figure add another 15.00 in beer and I still got the shop beat :cboy:

Big Thank you to callmefence. Once again he has gone above and beyond in helping a member here. I appreciate all the text pics of the manual Sir. It will definitely help.