Massey 481

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Anyone know of pro's or cons of Massey Ferguson - 481 ?

Local dealer here has a 2005 open station with a 15' batwing clipper for $21,500.

I've been doing some serious tractor shopping lately. Hard for 'ol cypress to let go of that money.

cypressfarms":varl7g96 said:
Anyone know of pro's or cons of Massey Ferguson - 481 ?

Local dealer here has a 2005 open station with a 15' batwing clipper for $21,500.

I've been doing some serious tractor shopping lately. Hard for 'ol cypress to let go of that money.
well old buddy $21,500 is a heck of a deal for tractor an batwing.if the batwing is fairly new its worth $4000 to $6000.so that only makes the tractor worth $16,000 in the package.so yes id jump on the deal.

How many hours is on it and is it a lease return from an interstate mowing crew? Dealers know exactly what they have and if you can get something from them for less than the fair market value you're a better man than me.

cfpinz

500 hours on the tractor. Not a road crew unti either.

I'm looking at so many tractors my head is spinning.

Just looked at a Ford 8240 4WD. 2500 hours and they want $17000. The more in depth I search, the better deals I seem to find......

cypressfarms":og1vorxh said:
500 hours on the tractor. Not a road crew unti either.

I'm looking at so many tractors my head is spinning.

Just looked at a Ford 8240 4WD. 2500 hours and they want $17000. The more in depth I search, the better deals I seem to find......

If you need a batwing its a good deal. I bought a 271 with FEL with 500 hours from a private party for $16K a couple years back. The equivalent new one (471) was $25K without a FEL. The 481 you speak of sounds pretty dang good to me.

flaboy - Has Massey improved their hydraulics any lately? I drove a 4233 a couple months back and they still sucked. My family has had a handful over the years and that's my biggest complaint, along with the early transmissions and the multi-power freewheeling.

cfpinz

cfpinz":n2f6xkzh said:
flaboy - Has Massey improved their hydraulics any lately? I drove a 4233 a couple months back and they still sucked. My family has had a handful over the years and that's my biggest complaint, along with the early transmissions and the multi-power freewheeling.

cfpinz

What kind of problems have you had. I have 4 MF's and all the hydraulics work fine.

The hydraulics were slower than molasses in January. I'm not trying to run them down, great engines and a lot of tractor for the money.

cfpinz

cfpinz":kiesy3ni said:
The hydraulics were slower than molasses in January. I'm not trying to run them down, great engines and a lot of tractor for the money.

cfpinz

Oh, I got ya. Cold weather operation? I guess it depends on the system. Seems each line/model/year does it differently. For example my real old MF's drive the PTO from the clutch. My 285 runs the PTO off of the hydraulics and the newer 271 runs the PTO off of the clutch. Go figure. I think there are just as many types of hydraulic systems on them as there are models.

Some have externally driven hyd pumps and some have internals. That might be what you experienced.

I reckon it all comes down to what you're used to. I cut my teeth on Fords and everything else seems downright awkward to me. The 4233 I drove was rather operator-friendly but the loader was slow, and that was in t-shirt weather. I was pleased with the rest of the tractor, though.

cfpinz

I too have a Ford. The FEL on it will just about catapult stuff into the next county. FAST! Much faster than the FEL on my Massey. I'm not really sure which I like the best, slow or fast. :lol:

I wish Ford was still making tractors. My old 3500 is one tough old boy and still going.

I have a MF481 2WD that I bought this past Feb. It runs really good IMO. I have found the FEL to be slow, but mine has a switch that allows the user to combine all hydraulic cylinders...it speeds up the use of the FEL but disengages the rear hydraulics.

I only have a few head and don't move any more than 150 bales a year, so it's fine for me.

cfpinz":1i69hguj said:

cfpinz

I have a old (70's) MF 2775. Its January and the Hydraulics work great. I guess Im just a lucky SOB 8)

Latest posts