Massey 255

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
well, it was in the shop for 2 months.. it's finally done.. was a lot of work, but it looks good now.. still have a couple little things to finish up.. front rims need a cleanup and we're still looking for a good seat, but it's running good and feels really tight.

I'm a fan of any of the old Massey tractors with 3 numbers. 255, 231 that sort of 3 numbers.

Caustic Burno":3i1o442v said:
I am still running a 40 year old 265
this one is 38 years old.. Haven't looked up the serial number on our 165, guessing 1970ish

rollinhills":3i1o442v said:
I wish mine looked that good, what size are the rear tires they look over sized?
16x28 I think.. Same as our IH684 and the Ford County.. There's another 255 we were looking at and it has much bigger tires than this one.. 18x30?

Bright Raven":3i1o442v said:
Wow. You got a new tractor for a song. Good job!!!
we paid $5500 for it, and put about $1500 in parts into it, not counting a full month of work... Once we get the loader installed (and painted, etc) I don't think I'd sell it under $12K.. runs like a top too

My old Massey has had a clutch job injectors rebuilt and a water pump about four years ago.
Got to put new bushings on the front it is more like herding than driving if you get in high range.
Hard to beat that A4236 Perkins engine.

Caustic Burno":2m8zg9zf said:
My old Massey has had a clutch job injectors rebuilt and a water pump about four years ago.
Got to put new bushings on the front it is more like herding than driving if you get in high range.
Hard to beat that A4236 Perkins engine.
I do like that engine... smoother running than the 165 engine that was a real shaker

jltrent":1eb8zsx6 said:
Nice MF 255.....does it have multi-power on it?
No.. the fellow we bought it from had 2 of them for sale, we deliberately chose the one without Multipower.. our 165 has MP and it's a PITA.. the upside to it is the MP tractors had fully live hydraulics and PTO rather than the 2 stage clutch.. This tractor has the 4 speed gearbox instead of the 3 speed the MP tractors had, but like our IH684, I don't know what moron thought up the gear spacing with a huge step between 2nd and 3rd... One bonus about the non MP tractors it there's less to go wrong on them with mechanical PTO engagement (which is safer too)

Nesikep":nd42qkwj said:
jltrent":nd42qkwj said:
No.. the fellow we bought it from had 2 of them for sale, we deliberately chose the one without Multipower.. our 165 has MP and it's a PITA.. the upside to it is the MP tractors had fully live hydraulics and PTO rather than the 2 stage clutch.. This tractor has the 4 speed gearbox instead of the 3 speed the MP tractors had, but like our IH684, I don't know what moron thought up the gear spacing with a huge step between 2nd and 3rd... One bonus about the non MP tractors it there's less to go wrong on them with mechanical PTO engagement (which is safer too)
I wouldn't want one with MP. You have a good MF255 tractor.

Nesikep":2w2fq9ad said:
jltrent":2w2fq9ad said:
I drove a IH684 several days pulling a haybine a few years ago. The gear shift was on the side and you had to go through every gear to go from top gear to bottom. I didn't like that a bit, but seemed like a good tractor otherwise.

I have mixed feeling about that idea too.. the later model Case versions went back to a standard H pattern.. my biggest gripe about it is the 2nd-3rd gear split being much too wide

Latest posts