Massey 143rf

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
Anyone know what one of these are worth? Have one in good working condition. Guessing it is a mid 90's model. Paint is good. Belts are good. Pickup and tines are good. I have been looking through the internet for a few months, but cannot find anything.

We have a new idea 4844, which seems to be about the same baler. The 4844 makes a heavier bale. Would like to sell the Massey unless it isn't worth much. But no clue what to ask for it.

Thanks in advance.

The Massey uses twine. Has electric pickup. And has a much wider pickup than the 4844. Tires are good.

My Pops seems to think it is only worth about 1500. But that price, to me, seems more in line with very old tech ballers, maybe even nom functioning ballers.

I've seen new idea 4800 series ballers going from $3k on up to $6k on classifieds. And the massey seems like it has many more bells and whistles.

New idea 4800 stuff is everywhere for sell. Seem pretty popular. But these Massey ballers appear to be pretty rare. We're they a flop for Massey or something?

ClinchValley":2tkanber said:
The Massey uses twine. Has electric pickup. And has a much wider pickup than the 4844. Tires are good.

My Pops seems to think it is only worth about 1500. But that price, to me, seems more in line with very old tech ballers, maybe even nom functioning ballers.

I've seen new idea 4800 series ballers going from $3k on up to $6k on classifieds. And the massey seems like it has many more bells and whistles.

New idea 4800 stuff is everywhere for sell. Seem pretty popular. But these Massey ballers appear to be pretty rare. We're they a flop for Massey or something?

I'm pretty sure the Massey is a Vermeer. What size bale does it make?

Here is a pic of one I found on the net...........

Looks to me like a New Ideal with a Massey sticker on it, makes a 4 x 4 bale. Same fixed chambered baler and the bale should be as heavy and tight as the NI if everything working right. Massey probably sold low numbers of these is the reason you don't see many. It ought to be worth 4k on up if in good shape.

1390521.jpg

It nor the New idea really ever caught on because of the bale being so wide but not tall. It just does not handle well and no way can anyone roll one out of a truck bed.

They both roll a 4x4. Bales actually measure 49-50 inches tall. and 48 inches long on the new idea. I make them tight as the baler will handle. I haven't measured a massey bale yet.

See a few new idea balers around here. But no massey's.

I was thinking 1500 was a give away price for a working baler.

I've figured out how to make a tight bale with both. But the bales on the new idea are considerably heavier. I can somewhat move the massey bales around by hand, but not the NI bales.

We've went over the massey and tuned everything up as per the manual. Still doesn't make as heavy of a bale as the NI.

On another note,

Have any of you ever ran 2 roller bar rakes together? Saw one for sale the other day that had a homemade hitch welded to the back to run another, offset, behind. I used a NH 56 rake for the 1st cut, i really liked how easy it was on the ground compared to our 3 pt 4 wheel rake.

ClinchValley":rimj870e said:
They both roll a 4x4. Bales actually measure 49-50 inches tall. and 48 inches long on the new idea. I make them tight as the baler will handle. I haven't measured a massey bale yet.

I've figured out how to make a tight bale with both. But the bales on the new idea are considerably heavier. I can somewhat move the massey bales around by hand, but not the NI bales.

We've went over the massey and tuned everything up as per the manual. Still doesn't make as heavy of a bale as the NI.

On another note,

Have any of you ever ran 2 roller bar rakes together? Saw one for sale the other day that had a homemade hitch welded to the back to run another, offset, behind. I used a NH 56 rake for the 1st cut, i really liked how easy it was on the ground compared to our 3 pt 4 wheel rake.
The V wheel rakes are so much more handier than running two roller bar rakes together but I bet they would work good. Usually you put a NH 256 left hand rake on one side and a NH 258 right hand rake on the other attached to a dolly or two NH256 rakes on a bar one right behind the other offset.

6S4ckBl.jpg

Put two NH rakes one behind the other on this bar. I seen one sell at auction last year like this for $300.
new-holland-hay-rake-dolly-200-ash-grove-americanlisted_28361229.jpg

ClinchValley":390867hf said:

On another note,

This must be a different model than I was thinking of. I seen some yesterday rolled like 3x4 being 3 tall

Latest posts