Mass Shootings

Help Support CattleToday:

I believe that the vast majority of people that commit the mass shootings are mentally ill, and would have been locked up somewhere in years past where they couldn't hurt anyone. It seems that these people are more likely to be out on the street now. I'll freely admit that I'm not as knowledgeable about this as I maybe should be before posting an opinion, so if someone here has first hand knowledge of mental health issues maybe they can confirm or contradict this opinion.

I think it's a very complicated issue where you can't point to one thing and say "That's it!"

I think some of the factors are:
-The media promoting these when they happen.
-A lot of violence on TV for entertainment. So much so that we've become accustomed to death as a thing instead of a tragedy. NCIS, all the superhero shows, HBO/Showtime, movies, etc. There's a lot of violence on TV, so much so that we don't watch TV with our child.
-Horribly violent video games that desensitize children when it comes to killing people.
-Lack of good nutrition and exercise. I'm serious here. What happens when you lock a dog up and don't exercise it? It goes mad. I think everyone sitting on their a$$ all the time is taking a toll on peoples' mental health.
-A 'Look at me' culture that rubs it in your face that you're not pretty enough/smart enough/cool enough/rich enough/etc. When we were all kids, you could be poor, but it wasn't rubbed in your face all the time like it is now in the media. The media does 'articles' as 'news' on luxury vacations that only the 1% can afford. It just reinforces how crappy your (not the literal you) life is. I think this pushes some people, who are close anyway, over the edge. They're about to lose their house, they're losing their job, losing their family, etc. What do they have to lose?
-Children aren't taught to respect a gun.
-Children aren't taught to respect human life, or life in general.

I feel like I could go on and on here. I think we may have reached a tipping point in society, and coming back from it is going to be tough.

JMJ Farms":pwwo1fco said:
I don't really expect a good answer to this bit I'm gonna ask anyway.....

What makes these lunatics walk into a business, theater, school or any public place and shoot people at random? Where does that "impulse" come from? What could possibly tell the human brain that that is "ok" on any level? Blows my mind and scares me to death at the same time. I can't believe that I was selfish enough to bring my children into this crazy environment. Very sad. And my people ask me why I carry my pistol everywhere except church. May start toting it on Sunday too.
Several things different in my life time first the loss of use of the church house doors,
chain gang and who gave a shut about prison overcrowding,we have pulled all the money out of the crazy houses and turned the inmates on the street.
Lastly restraining orders don't work I know for a fact I had one against a meth head that kept showing up. He is currently in prison he left at the insistence of a 45 ACP.

Bestoutwest.. I think you got is summed up pretty good and I feel the same way.

Dun, that's a great story!. I was only in 1 fight in my life, and got my arse handed to me.. no, we never became friends.. (I did get my revenge, it was served cold).

True Grit Farms":1kd4ejhv said:
SBQueen":1kd4ejhv said:
This is so sad. People like this should be locked up with the key thrown away. So sad.

That's half the problem right there. These kind of people need to be killed ASAP.
If you give a man the whip, and he likes the whip, what have you really done to him and those like him?

Sure, extermination rids him from society, but another will replace him next week--if not before.

A punishment is gonna have to be found that is worse than death.

Greybeard, the lunatics that want death kill themselves. But I'm good with torturing someone till they die if they kill one of my family members.

greybeard":33h91ic4 said:
If you give a man the whip, and he likes the whip, what have you really done to him and those like him?

Sure, extermination rids him from society, but another will replace him next week--if not before.

A punishment is gonna have to be found that is worse than death.

I have to say GB, I never thought I would realize the day when someone could use a Charles Manson quote to make an argument..and the argument be appropriate! Very impressive.

While I agree with your last statement as well, the challenge is finding a punishment that isn't "cruel and unusual"...

It was the Guns fault.

cedric-ford-2.jpg

This world is a lost and dieing place. We are spiraling out of control. Top to bottom, and inside and out. We've run amuck, with no consequences. Sadly, the issues we face, will become worse. The problems will be even more frequent, and more pronounced in the near future. It won't take "generations". I'm really not a gloom and doom kinda guy, but on subjects like this I am. I will do more, to teach mine, and correct mine. I will offset the problem as much as I can. The problem in, and of itself will only get worse. I live in a bad area, so I am a little jaded I guess. Crime is rampant here. I see foolishness the likes of which, many would find hard to believe. People that are just totally out of control, with nobody setting a limit. Not even the judicial system. I hope I'm gone, when the end comes, but that will leave my children to fight it. Sorry guys, it's been a rough day. It's a pretty afternoon. I think I'll go for a ride when I get home.

Bigfoot":1b0frroq said:
This world is a lost and dieing place. We are spiraling out of control. Top to bottom, and inside and out. We've run amuck, with no consequences. Sadly, the issues we face, will become worse. The problems will be even more frequent, and more pronounced in the near future. It won't take "generations". I'm really not a gloom and doom kinda guy, but on subjects like this I am. I will do more, to teach mine, and correct mine. I will offset the problem as much as I can. The problem in, and of itself will only get worse. I live in a bad area, so I am a little jaded I guess. Crime is rampant here. I see foolishness the likes of which, many would find hard to believe. People that are just totally out of control, with nobody setting a limit. Not even the judicial system. I hope I'm gone, when the end comes, but that will leave my children to fight it. Sorry guys, it's been a rough day. It's a pretty afternoon. I think I'll go for a ride when I get home.

I know how it is, enjoy your ride, my friend.

Latest posts