Mashona Vs Bonsmara Vs Tuli

Help Support CattleToday:

Aussie27

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I want to know your thoughts, experiences and suggestions in relation to these three breeds!

I'm after pros and cons to each breed.

Stories, photos and carcass experience are most welcome.

If you're in Australia that's even more helpful!

I'm in a Hot summer, cool wet winter, semi-arid climate.

Happy to hear about similar breeds too.

Thanks in advance!

Tuli are best adapted to desert type conditions with spase forage, and will thrive on a high percentage of woody species. Heat tolerant, parasite tolerant and in their natural environment have natural resistance to diseases such as Anaplasmosis, Babesiasis, Heartwater, sweating sickness etc, which are hard on exotic breeds. Carcase quality is similar to Aberdeen Angus in marbling, fine grained and slightly lower shear force than British breeds, and similar succulence, do not do well in intensive feedlotting as will flounder unless fed a high roughage ration, F1 crosses to commercial breeds do not have this problem. Mashona has the same beef quality traits, but is more adapted to bulky, low octane forage, both breeds are exceptionally fertile under harsh tropical conditions have small, robust calves, and are very docile due to their being herded for thousands of years by young herd boys, so no aggressive cattle have been bred, however they are excellent mothers, and still have strong protective instincts toward their calves (I had a large leopard population and lost less calves than neighbours) They cross well with all commercial breeds, expressing high levels of heterosis when bred to either European Taurus, Indicus or composites as they are unique genetics from a separate domestication event in modern day Tanzania. Bonsmara are the most performance tested breed, excellent feedlot performance in both pure and F1 steers. The Bonsmara does not have much marbling, but has a low shear force, they are well adapted to extreme climates, from the Kalahari and Namib eco systems in Southern Africa, to the extreme cold of Alberta (Thornbush Bonsmara). Here is a link to the Facebook page African Genetics in Australia - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1845266292191223 Brows these forums for further research -https://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/forums/ I am available to answer any specific questions.

Very interesting reading.

Friend of mine has some Bonsmara cattle down here are they are great. They handle the heat and humidity on the border and I've seen them all the way up in to Canada. You can put a Black Angus bull on them and they sell as good as any thing that will go through the ring. They are not near as temperamental as Brahmans, either.

Tuli are best adapted to desert type conditions with spase forage, and will thrive on a high percentage of woody species. Heat tolerant, parasite tolerant and in their natural environment have natural resistance to diseases such as Anaplasmosis, Babesiasis, Heartwater, sweating sickness etc, which are hard on exotic breeds. Carcase quality is similar to Aberdeen Angus in marbling, fine grained and slightly lower shear force than British breeds, and similar succulence, do not do well in intensive feedlotting as will flounder unless fed a high roughage ration, F1 crosses to commercial breeds do not have this problem. Mashona has the same beef quality traits, but is more adapted to bulky, low octane forage, both breeds are exceptionally fertile under harsh tropical conditions have small, robust calves, and are very docile due to their being herded for thousands of years by young herd boys, so no aggressive cattle have been bred, however they are excellent mothers, and still have strong protective instincts toward their calves (I had a large leopard population and lost less calves than neighbours) They cross well with all commercial breeds, expressing high levels of heterosis when bred to either European Taurus, Indicus or composites as they are unique genetics from a separate domestication event in modern day Tanzania. Bonsmara are the most performance tested breed, excellent feedlot performance in both pure and F1 steers. The Bonsmara does not have much marbling, but has a low shear force, they are well adapted to extreme climates, from the Kalahari and Namib eco systems in Southern Africa, to the extreme cold of Alberta (Thornbush Bonsmara). Here is a link to the Facebook page African Genetics in Australia - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1845266292191223 Brows these forums for further research -https://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/forums/ I am available to answer any specific questions

Hi Andybob.

We have large amounts of hard seeded annual ryegrass to give you an idea of what our feed is like in the wet months.

I'm looking for a breed that will perform in a grass fed system and be ready for slaughter before it's second summer normally in a cross but not always.

I need cattle that will perform in cold wet winters with some frost but also handle the 48c days with all the dust.
Again normally in a cross but not always.

Carcass is a very important as my family runs a farm gate beef business.
I'm after a breed to improve heat tolerance and fertility in the herd.

What breed do you think is closest to what I'm after?
I know there is no silver bullet.

Hi Andybob.

We have large amounts of hard seeded annual ryegrass to give you an idea of what our feed is like in the wet months.

I'm looking for a breed that will perform in a grass fed system and be ready for slaughter before it's second summer normally in a cross but not always.

I need cattle that will perform in cold wet winters with some frost but also handle the 48c days with all the dust.
Again normally in a cross but not always.

Carcass is a very important as my family runs a farm gate beef business.
I'm after a breed to improve heat tolerance and fertility in the herd.

What breed do you think is closest to what I'm after?
I know there is no silver bullet.
While I ran Tuli both in Africa and North Carolina, I think the Mashona would fit your situation better, they will get to slaughter weight as a purebred a few months faster. Kidman cattle company did a composites Tuli/Murray Grey which did well under their harsh conditions, so as you indicated, the option to use a cross or develop a composite would increase the traits such as carcase weight at, say 18 - 24 months, depending on your market. Bonsmara do well as an established composite, the only downside is the lack of marbling. Have a discussion with the members on the facebook page above, there might be someone close who can give specific advice on regional preferences.

While I ran Tuli both in Africa and North Carolina, I think the Mashona would fit your situation better, they will get to slaughter weight as a purebred a few months faster. Kidman cattle company did a composites Tuli/Murray Grey which did well under their harsh conditions, so as you indicated, the option to use a cross or develop a composite would increase the traits such as carcase weight at, say 18 - 24 months, depending on your market. Bonsmara do well as an established composite, the only downside is the lack of marbling. Have a discussion with the members on the facebook page above, there might be someone close who can give specific advice on regional preferences.
Thanks.

I will ask on that page. Almost everything I see on that page is Nguni so I'll be interested to see what they say.

I really like Mashona but I'm not used to such small cattle.

Composite would be ideal but I'm restricted in my area because of land prices.

Johan Zeitsman suggested
Mashona-Lowline Composite

The markets are stud stock, F1 bulls and culls for direct sale to the public.

My family run a beef farm for direct sale to the public so culls will go through there. Some of the pure and F1 bulls will be used there for adaption and increased fertility

Thanks.

I will ask on that page. Almost everything I see on that page is Nguni so I'll be interested to see what they say.

I really like Mashona but I'm not used to such small cattle.

Composite would be ideal but I'm restricted in my area because of land prices.

Johan Zeitsman suggested
Mashona-Lowline Composite

The markets are stud stock, F1 bulls and culls for direct sale to the public.

My family run a beef farm for direct sale to the public so culls will go through there. Some of the pure and F1 bulls will be used there for adaption and increased fertility
Mashona/Lowline would work very well, Johann used Mashona in his first cross over his Beefmaster herd in Rhodesia so he is experienced in the performance of the Mashona crosses/composites, and many of the Veldmaster programs he initiated include the Mashona,- being neighbours, I had the opportunity to see first hand how his breeding programs and grazing system were working. The Nguni discussions have dominated recently, but there are representatives of Mashona, Tuli and Drakensberger on the page, just make some enquires and see who responds. An interesting cross i saw on a smallholding was Dexter/Mashona, the owners wanted the horns off the Dexters and more adapted traits in the bushveld conditions, the growth and carcase quality was also greatly improved in the crosses.

Mashona/Lowline would work very well, Johann used Mashona in his first cross over his Beefmaster herd in Rhodesia so he is experienced in the performance of the Mashona crosses/composites, and many of the Veldmaster programs he initiated include the Mashona,- being neighbours, I had the opportunity to see first hand how his breeding programs and grazing system were working. The Nguni discussions have dominated recently, but there are representatives of Mashona, Tuli and Drakensberger on the page, just make some enquires and see who responds. An interesting cross i saw on a smallholding was Dexter/Mashona, the owners wanted the horns off the Dexters and more adapted traits in the bushveld conditions, the growth and carcase quality was also greatly improved in the crosses.
Before I post on that page.

How is the beef quality of Nguni compared to Mashona or Tuli?

If you don't know it's fine. I saw some Nguni beef online and it seemed dark.

Before I post on that page.

How is the beef quality of Nguni compared to Mashona or Tuli?

If you don't know it's fine. I saw some Nguni beef online and it seemed dark.
The Nguni have a very wide gene pool with regional variations in size etc, most of the common bloodlines have similar beef quality to the Tuli and Mashona, just much smaller size, but a few of the lesser strains have slightly less marbling, I have not experienced darker beef in any of the Sanga breeds as a breed trait (I was a meat technologist while developing my herd in the 70's) but there are individual factors, not genetically linked which can result in dark beef, check with any owner before purchasing stock or semen if this characteristic exists, though considering how strict selection has been for stock exprted to Australia, I doubt any anomalies exist in the herds there.

The Nguni have a very wide gene pool with regional variations in size etc, most of the common bloodlines have similar beef quality to the Tuli and Mashona, just much smaller size, but a few of the lesser strains have slightly less marbling, I have not experienced darker beef in any of the Sanga breeds as a breed trait (I was a meat technologist while developing my herd in the 70's) but there are individual factors, not genetically linked which can result in dark beef, check with any owner before purchasing stock or semen if this characteristic exists, though considering how strict selection has been for stock exprted to Australia, I doubt any anomalies exist in the herds there.
Thank you

Hey Andybob.

I have made a great contact here. The guy I've been talking to has excellent Nguni herd. He has suggested crossing my family's commercial herd to Nguni to fix fertility problems in that herd and reduce age at slaughter. Then have a small composite herd for replacements and everything else goes to a terminal sire.
He has suggested Tuli for my personal stud herd. He thinks that fits best what I'm after for selling bulls.
Mashona is still an option but we only have F1 calves in the country and straws are around $100 each. That's basically out of my price range for straws at the moment. I will be able to buy F1 Mashona bulls in a couple of years.

Any thoughts?

Hey Andybob.

I have made a great contact here. The guy I've been talking to has excellent Nguni herd. He has suggested crossing my family's commercial herd to Nguni to fix fertility problems in that herd and reduce age at slaughter. Then have a small composite herd for replacements and everything else goes to a terminal sire.
He has suggested Tuli for my personal stud herd. He thinks that fits best what I'm after for selling bulls.
Mashona is still an option but we only have F1 calves in the country and straws are around $100 each. That's basically out of my price range for straws at the moment. I will be able to buy F1 Mashona bulls in a couple of years.

Any thoughts?
If you are in contact with Troy, he is very knowledgeable about the various Sanga breeds in Australia, he has been active throughout the different breeds, and as a wealth of knowledge about Sanga breeds in the context of Australian climatic conditions and markets, if he is your contact, then I would recommend you follow his guidance, Kidman cattle company were always very keen on the Tuli and maintained a 150 cow fullblood herd, they had two established composites containing Tuli, so I would consider taking the choice of such a large company as warranting some merit when making decisions as to suitable breeds. Read some of the articles on the Sanga forums - https://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/forums/

If you are in contact with Troy, he is very knowledgeable about the various Sanga breeds in Australia, he has been active throughout the different breeds, and as a wealth of knowledge about Sanga breeds in the context of Australian climatic conditions and markets, if he is your contact, then I would recommend you follow his guidance, Kidman cattle company were always very keen on the Tuli and maintained a 150 cow fullblood herd, they had two established composites containing Tuli, so I would consider taking the choice of such a large company as warranting some merit when making decisions as to suitable breeds. Read some of the articles on the Sanga forums - https://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/forums/
Yes Troy is the person I'm in contact with. He really knows his stuff.
I will be messaging him tomorrow. It's been great to hear what he and his Mates are doing.

I've been reading heaps of those articles and posts. Awesome stuff.

Latest posts