Mars

Help Support CattleToday:

In 2o or 30 years from now, will we colonize Mars?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but will take longer than 30 years.

• No.

• Total voters

greenpasture78

Reaction score
Stepping away from politics and cattle for awhile. I am a big Sci-Fi fan so I thought it would be fun to poll this unique crowd and see how the results goes. People laugh at the idea of colonize Mars. Then again, people laughed at Christopher Columbus at the idea the world wasn't flat. People laughed at Galileo when he told the Church that the earth revolves around the sun (not vise versa...he nearly got hang for it!), people laughed at automobile, people laughed at airplanes, people laughed at computers....but now we do not laugh at these things but use them in our daily lives.. I think people laugh at things that sounds out-of this world (seems sci-fi to them) but realized these things has become essetial to our lives..... I know new ideas is hard to swallow but over time new ideas becomes commonplace and widely accepted.

Greenpasture78, I'm afraid the time has finally come for you to meet with your mental health professional and pharmacist to see if they can offer you a stronger prescription.

Also, notice that I haven't referred to you as "Oreo" since you asked me to "please" not call you that. I expect at the minimum a simple, "Thank you, Mr. Texan."

greenpasture78":1608hwr7 said:
Stepping away from politics and cattle for awhile. I am a big Sci-Fi fan so I thought it would be fun to poll this unique crowd and see how the results goes. People laugh at the idea of colonize Mars. Then again, people laughed at Christopher Columbus at the idea the world wasn't flat. People laughed at Galileo when he told the Church that the earth revolves around the sun (not vise versa...he nearly got hang for it!), people laughed at automobile, people laughed at airplanes, people laughed at computers....but now we do not laugh at these things but use them in our daily lives.. I think people laugh at things that sounds out-of this world (seems sci-fi to them) but realized these things has become essetial to our lives..... I know new ideas is hard to swallow but over time new ideas becomes commonplace and widely accepted.

For the sake of science, checking out Mars is fine. But who in the heck would want to colonize that place? Wrong temp, nothing grows, no life that we can tell. If we could actually colonize it, we should just use it as a place to send people to fill prison sentences. I suppose we could get rid of toxic manufacturing and so forth and send it there too.

I agree 100% with D.R. We should send all of the prisioners, terrorist, politicians and toxic waste there! :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Then maybe people will think twice about commiting all these terrible things people do now because our justice system is so lax, all they get is a slap on the wrist. :x

It should be teraformed and colonized by homesteader types like many of us. It may be the only hope for the survival of not only our species, but for the species we take along. There are hundreds, if not thousands of species DNA already in cold storage, so to speak, in case of world catstrophe. Mars needs to be a place of retreat, a safe haven, an established multi-species habitat, a final escape, a quick get away, whatever you want to call it. If some humans, and multiple plant and animal species are not preserved when or if our planet meets with an untimely end, we are in very bad shape. I feel so fortunate to have watched man walk on the moon, and so sad that I will not see man walk on Mars. I hope my children do. Or my grandchild. Star Trek is real. Just wait and see. Just slip into that time-space continuim and find out for yourself. Watch out for the Borg and Xindi.

For those who don't watch the news because its too liberal: Recently, JPL sent a couple of rovers to Mars in hope to find water. A few month ago, the scientists at JPL has found evidence of water on Mars. With this evidence, there is a possibly to colonize Mars. While, I was watching an "Nova" (I think it was. It was aired before the rover landings, so there was a lot of "if" and "when"s) episode on how they plan to colonize Mars. They talked about creating an bubble dome environment with a community of botanists growing plants. When there is enough oxygen from plants, they'll release it into Mars atmosphere. When there is enough oxygen in the atmosphere, they'll plant trees, shrubs, etc... As to warm the planet, they talked about ways to create an artificial global warming on the planet (like turning on an oven...heat the planet up) until there are stabilize temperatures that plants and humans can survive. Over time, they will ship farmers to grow crops (and miners to mine the minerals).... I know its seems impossible but as great scientists will tell ya in science, there is no such thing as impossible. Every impossible has an possibly. 50 years ago, people thought it was impossible for man to land on the moon....well man did land on the moon!

DR, I noticed you are not very optimistic at impossbility like landing on Mars.... Remember people thought like you did in the last 100 years about airplanes, cars, computers, etc.... People laughed at new ideas they don't understand....I think that is your problem....old fashioned thinking and problem comprehending certain things....

Its funny how y'alls are Bush supporters but unoptimistic about the Mars program. Bush is one of the biggest supporter of the Mars program... I figured if you support Bush, you would support Mars. What a weird bunch this web board have!

Optimism? I really don't want to live on a desert like planet with no grass, trees, oxygen etc, where we have to create an artificial environment just to inhabit. I'm from the old school but open to new ideas. You have no idea who you are talking to or what you are talking about. Your discussion might be interesting if this was a sci-fi website, but this is a cattle board. I could care less about Mars, and if anything ever happens there I'll be dead by then. My descendants will hopefully be living happily on the cow pastures I leave to them, not on Mars where people like you belong.

By the way you forgot to add an option at the top of this poll labeled who gives a shiit.

Latest posts