Marketing Yearlings

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hello board:

Thought I'd run this past the experts. I'm about to market my first bunch of calves.....around 20 hd. They are all yearlings, and weigh anywhere from 800 - 1100. (Had a few odd balls in the bunch, that were born later and are thus lighter).

I guess I'm looking for any pointers at the sale barn. I think most around here go through a commission firm, (need to be called a day or two in advance)? I'm assuming these particular calves will be marketed as feeders, as they are not completely finished? How about vaccination records, do any/most of you take your records down for your commissioner to view?

Just looking for any insight. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about your part of the country, but according to the way the markets have been here, unless you got your feed for free, you should have sold them 300-500 lbs ago. 500-600 lb'rs seems to be the magic weight to sell at to maximize profit IMHO. We used to raise them up to 700-900lbs then sell. But the last few years we've found we can maximize profits but cutting input costs (feed after weaning). We wean at 6-7 months and background for 30-45 days, then to the market they go.

Don't know anything about commission firms, we take ours to market ourselves.

Good Luck.

What sale barn are you planning on selling them at?

As far as keeping them to long I wouldn't worry to much last week I was at Magness and I watched some 1000# bring $.86 and I saw some 600# bring $1.24 You never fed $116.00 worth of feed. Atleast I hope you didn't if you did you would not be my first choice for feedlot manager. Just kidding it was impossible for you to have done that. Good luck at the barns.

Young man take them ther yearlins to the sale barn and get your money! if i aint learned me nuthen i learned me this.

sell high, buy low.

in the bible they would call that a golden rule.

we are getten some of the best money weve had in a long time.
take your paper work with ya. now days folks wont believe a honest man they want to see it on paper.

LOL.

Not really looking for advice as to WHEN to market them, just a few tips on how the process works. :cboy: Thanks for the suggestions however.

Dont worry to much about my profit margins :?: .....corn is cheap in these parts, very cheap..and I have put a pencil to my feeding program. At 200 bu per acre this past fall, most guys were piling it on the ground if it didnt go to town, (where they piled it on the ground) Just a lot of $1.25 corn, and no place to put it.

I plan on selling at the Sioux Falls stock yards.

i rekne every man has his first time. i know i remember her O i mean mine! It aint that hard doen. you get your self on the phone and place a call to the sale barn. when they pick up you tell them you got 20 steers your haulen in on sunday. them folks will go ahead and give ya the particulars. come sunday you haul them steers in and sign your name or put your mark. from there if youv got the time go to the sale on monday and see how you do.

1 thing to tell ya is be sure the actioner states to the folks your ranch name when he bids them steers. that way folks get to know what to exspect from you next go round.

D.R. Cattle":19rcarev said:
So you let them nurse the cows with a new calf hitting the ground?

:???:

They were weaned at 6 months of age....or last October. Evidently I wasnt very clear as to what I'm asking. Sorry for all of the confusion.

I inquired as to the typical marketing process, and so far have had my feedlot managing skills questioned, and now my breeding/weaning program is under scrutiny. :roll: :lol:

Maybe this is why I prefer the "search" feature.

It also seems that Billy Bob has moved to Idaho.... :shock:

Why do ya tell us billy bob has moved to Idaho? is he a friend of yours? i was born and raised up here its a dang nice place to live. were in Idaho did he move to? i aint traveled out of the state much but been most places in it. i got around some in my rodeo years.

Cornstalk...I buy alot of yearlings when I know who's cattle they are. We do the all natural route and there are alot of folks that raise that way, so when I can I buy from them or know their cattle when they hit the ring. Been paying 76-86 /cwt for ten weight plus steers. These are usually the ones that have been kept back for whatever reason and are generally pretty nice animals. Haven't brought home a wild one yet...not counting the heifer calf off the reservation and she went back the next week.
IMO, I'd make sure they are clean when they hit the sale. The ones that are covered with dingleberries and manure caked on their tails bring a few bucks less, I know I think real hard about bidding the dirty ones. Oh yeah, I won't buy a animal with more than one iron on it...sure is a reason.
DMc

Susie David
With you buying yearlings I assume you are taking them up to slaughter weight or do you sell to feedlots? I am new at this so go easy with the cubicle cowboy.

The majority of our cattle (98%) leave the farm naked.
We buy the nicer yearlings and finish them for slaughter. We sell beef by the carcass, half or quarter. We monitor the condition of the animals and place them in the production line-up accordingly.
DMc

I am a hobby rancher or as caustic says a cubicle cowboy so what does this mean "leave the farm naked" do you sell directly to the slaughter houses? A footnote I also built a big job west of you near Everett peugont sound and I fell in love with that area.

Latest posts