Marketing Rewards

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
May 18--In the battle of cattle, the Black Angus is more than just the flavor of the month.

After all, it's not the Hereford or Charolais burger that's now the latest trend in fast food, but the Angus burger -- more specifically, Black Angus.

This spring, Burger King began rolling out its Angus Steakburger at restaurants, the first national chain to do so. Burger King follows several regional chains across the country in the past two years, including Hardee's, which reshaped its entire menu around Angus charbroiled burgers.

"So far, they are a hit," said Natalie Simmonds, marketing director for Simmonds Restaurant Management, which owns the Burger King franchises in Omaha. "We're not advertising it yet, but they are on the marquee. It's still kind of rolling out nationwide."

For Black Angus producers, the growing popularity of Angus is seen as the natural progression for a strong breed line, genetic development and marketing to create an industry name synonymous with quality beef.

"It's taken 30 years of hard work to become an overnight success," said Jim Shirley, vice president of industry relations for the St. Joseph, Mo.-based American Angus Association.

Competing breed associations credit the Angus guys for being the first association to step out with a certified quality program that now is the industry standard.

"The Angus folks have done a tremendous job marketing and getting their product accepted," said Joe Rickabaugh, director of communications for the American Hereford Association in Kansas City, Mo. "They were pioneers, and they are reaping the rewards for stepping out and doing it."

No statistics are available on the dominant breed in Nebraska, although the Nebraska Angus Association has about 180 member producers. Nationally, Angus-type breeds account for about 50 percent of all beef cattle. Herefords account for about 10 percent. Another 75 breeds and cross-breeds account for the other 40 percent of cattle, according to the Certified Angus Beef program.

Celebrating its 25th year, the Certified Angus Beef program was the first targeted, branded program in the country, and it remains the largest. Certified Angus Beef established specific guidelines for cattle, and the program now is serving its second generation of consumers.

"It's kind of ingrained in the public that the black animal is good," Dom Castaldo, editor for meatnews.com. "They just associate when it's a Black Angus it's got to be good to eat."

A lot of people have spun off the Certified Angus label. There are about 50 certified beef programs around of the country, about 30 of which promote using predominately Black Angus cattle.

That's caused the term Black Angus to resonate with people. The wording "Black Angus" burger outpolls "ground beef" in popularity 11-to-1, according to fast-food industry polls.

Shirley argues that the popularity of Angus beef isn't just because of clever marketing. The Black Angus provides a higher grade of meat more consistently than other breeds, he said.

"It's a matter of quality. Angus beef has always been known as a high-quality beef."

Chris Calkins, a professor of animal science at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln who studies meat quality, said Angus typically grade at a higher quality more consistently than some other beef breeds, which is why so many certified programs focus on the Angus.

"One of the reasons for the high number of Angus programs you see is it does have a reputation as a higher-quality product," Calkins said.

Other breeds, meanwhile, have developed their own promotions. The Hereford Association didn't start the Certified Hereford Beef program until 1995, but it has shown steady growth since then. The difference in certified Angus and Hereford programs is the magnitude:

The Certified Hereford Beef program produced 34.7 million pounds of beef in 2003 and processed 173,000 animals at two packing houses.

Greater Omaha Meatpacking Co. processed just under 103,000 cattle last year for the Certified Hereford Beef program. Another plant in Liberal, Kan., also processes for the program.

The Certified Angus Beef program produced more than 1 billion pounds of beef from 2.2 million cattle. Most of the largest meatpackers in the country participate in the program to some degree.

Rob Ames, program director for Certified Hereford Beef, said fewer people understand the basics of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's meat grading system, so they latch onto a term they associate with quality.

"In replacement of the grading, I think you are seeing terms like Angus," Ames said.

Officials at the Certified Angus Beef office emphasize that those fast-food promotions are not tied to their program. The restaurants may very well be using Black Angus animals, officials said, but those cattle are not certified through the industry group.

"There's definitely an element of what we call Angus confusion," said Eileen Keller, a spokeswoman for the Certified Angus Beef program. "There are some folks who, when they see the word 'Angus,' automatically identify it with our program. They also make the assumption that it's all the same quality, and it's not."

Castaldo is concerned when terms like Black Angus are thrown around. "They could end up giving the entire Black Angus segment a black eye."

Fast-food restaurants aren't the only ones pegging their success to Angus or Herefords. More and more of the branded programs nationally are linked to smaller, niche meatpackers developing their own premium products exclusively around a particular animal.

In Kansas, Creekstone Farms Premium Beef promotes itself as the nation's only exclusive Angus beef slaughterhouse. The company, which is fighting the USDA over the right to test all of its cattle for mad-cow disease, processes no red cattle.

Fighting back, the Hereford producers soon will have the South Dakota-based Ridgefield Farms Premium Hereford Beef, which started in 2001. The company announced plans last March to build a $27 million meatpacking plant in Huron, S.D., that would employ up to 300 people. Ridgefield Farms promotes exclusively Hereford meat products.

-----

To see more of the Omaha World-Herald, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.omaha.com

(c) 2004, Omaha World-Herald, Neb. Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News. CKR,

Yes...seems to be a trend that "Black Angus Beef" is getting into the burger market.

That is "part" of the reason why we have several solid black Longhorn cows and two black Longhorn bulls in our herd (along with all the other colors and patterns).

With our black Longhorns, they will cross-breed very well with the Angus and other black bovines to produce a higher percentage of LEAN beef that is still tasty. And, with 1/4 to 1/2 cross breeding to Longhorn, you get the low birthweight, very easy calving animal that still maintains the marbling along with more lean beef for the health conscious consumer market.

Fat is out...lean is in! After all, one of the USA's greatest health problems is now overly fat people.... :roll: And, you know the rest of the story....

Running Arrow Bill":1d3y634j said:
That is "part" of the reason why we have several solid black Longhorn cows and two black Longhorn bulls in our herd (along with all the other colors and patterns).

what is the other "part"?

With our black Longhorns, they will cross-breed very well with the Angus and other black bovines to produce a higher percentage of LEAN beef that is still tasty. And, with 1/4 to 1/2 cross breeding to Longhorn, you get the low birthweight, very easy calving animal that still maintains the marbling along with more lean beef for the health conscious consumer market.

this is one of the most ridiculous statements i think you've ever made. the only reason i could see anyone breeding an angus to a longhorn is calving ease. otherwise, it's the longhorn carcass that's being helped out....not the other way around!

Fat is out...lean is in!

i s'pose that's why prime steaks are still the highest dollar steaks on the market? do you realize that marbling is intramuscular fat?

txag":1xxkdh27 said:
Running Arrow Bill":1xxkdh27 said:

what is the other "part"?

this is one of the most ridiculous statements i think you've ever made. the only reason i could see anyone breeding an angus to a longhorn is calving ease. otherwise, it's the longhorn carcass that's being helped out....not the other way around!

Fat is out...lean is in!

i s'pose that's why prime steaks are still the highest dollar steaks on the market? do you realize that marbling is intramuscular fat?

Sorry if I rattled your (and others) cage(s)! :roll:

The "other part" of our black program is that it adds another color to our herd and the commercial cattle people in our market area seem to be interested in our "black" (Longhorn) cattle, including breeding (or semen) to our black bull.

Ok...guess I impulsively expressed my naivete about "marbling" things...since our primary effort here is not steaks. Will leave that issue to the commercial beef and feedlot operations. Just a poor choice of words and references on my part. Yes, I'm aware of the difference between fat and intramuscular marbling.....

And, I'll re-phrase my comment about cross-breeding Longhorns with Angus...."cross-breeding ANY other breed with a Longhorn".

Running Arrow Bill wrote:
Fat is out...lean is in!

txag wrote:
i s'pose that's why prime steaks are still the highest dollar steaks on the market? do you realize that marbling is intramuscular fat

Why is it that prime steaks are the highest, but when it comes to hamburger the extra lean, the more expensive?

Rod

Prime steaks are highest because they are most tender and tasteful, lean ground beef is higher because it's spose to have less grease. Or so I'm told

Just to stir the pot a little how would ya'll explain fillet mignion? Highest priced steak with no marbling.

ollie":1n210w4x said:
Just to stir the pot a little how would ya'll explain fillet mignion? Highest priced steak with no marbling.

maybe it's the bacon? :lol: :lol:

in the case of the filet, you're paying for tenderness, not taste (marbling):

"Filet mignon is French, of course, with filet meaning "thick slice" and mignon meaning "dainty." It first appears in American print in 1899. Filet mignon comes from the small end of the tenderloin (called the short loin) which is found on the back rib cage of the animal. This area of the animal is not weight-bearing, thus the connective tissue is not toughened by exercise resulting in extremely tender meat."

MR3":2328wjbd said:
Why is it that prime steaks are the highest, but when it comes to hamburger the extra lean, the more expensive? Rod
Lean ground beef is more expensive because other dishes are made with it than just hamburger. ie: Chili, tacos, enchiladas, spaghetti sauce, and many other dishes that few people want a layer of grease floating over the top of the dish.
These dishes are flavored by the vegetables and other seasoning ingredients, rather than the fat.

With hamburger and meat loaf the fat drips or drains off and into the fire or the pan or skillet with some remaining in the meat adding flavor and tenderness.

ollie":21by74rk said:

Only thing I can think of is where the filet mignon is located on the animal--gets very little exercise. Same with prime rib. Also, fewer of these steak cuts on each animal available??

Jake":28nc9has said:
Prime steaks are highest because they are most tender and tasteful, lean ground beef is higher because it's spose to have less grease. Or so I'm told

Yes. My searches for Longhorn ground beef revealed that it was running anywhere between $3.00 and $4.50 per pount.

We butchered a 700# yearling Longhorn bull this past January. Of a variety of cuts we ordered, we got about 140# of ground beef as well. The ground beef has been excellent and even cooking a skillet full of burgers, there was essentially no fat to drain off and the patties had not shrunk any that we could see. Think our ground beef is about 98% lean.

Compare this to a Mickey D's "Quarter Pounder" that allegedly ends up cooked at about 1/2 the uncooked weight...just my opinion, not fact or scientific. No offense golden arch people.

Even before we started eating Longhorn, we always bought the "extra lean" ground beef at supermarket...still had too much excess grease to drain off...made good "Tex-Mex" greasy mexican food though! Yum!

Running Arrow Bill":17bc7264 said:
Compare this to a Mickey D's "Quarter Pounder" that allegedly ends up cooked at about 1/2 the uncooked weight...just my opinion, not fact or scientific. No offense golden arch people.
Bill, I'd like to see you document that claim! I don't think you can! Why don't you keep that "opinion" to yourself? Do you actually think McDonald's is willing to tolerate a 50% loss on their beef purchases due to cooking alone?

Bill, you are talking about the largest beef customer in the world! They buy more of our product than anybody, anywhere. Don't eat at McDonald's if you don't want to. But please don't say things that might jeopardize our business relationships with our customers. Beef demand might not have anything to do with your business, but it sure as Hell does with mine!

Running Arrow Bill":2nes9j32 said:
eating Longhorn

I grew up eating the old Holsteins that fell in the barnyard and split the hind legs. Most times they were 5 yrs old or better. I now refuse to eat a holstein, I have moved on to better things!! God Bless mom and dad for doing what they could to keep us all full before bed time, but you can't beat a good jucy hunk of steak, be it angus or hereford.

There is a local resturaunt that serves "longhorn" beef from Dickinson Cattle Co. I admit, we decided to see what the hubub was all about. That was the toughest, driest, hunk of stuff I have ever eaten. I will almost venture to say it was worse than the 5 yr old Holstein. No amount of steak sauce was gonna make it edible. I'll stick with eating my herefords and commercial cattle, no holstein or longhorn or steak sauce included!!

certherfbeef":2ymzztcn said:
Running Arrow Bill":2ymzztcn said:
eating Longhorn

There is a local resturaunt that serves "longhorn" beef from Dickinson Cattle Co. I admit, we decided to see what the hubub was all about. That was the toughest, driest, hunk of stuff I have ever eaten. I will almost venture to say it was worse than the 5 yr old Holstein.

Would you expect anything different from a breed whose reputation is based on dry lean meat, no fat, no marbling, shoe leather tough meat.
Longhorns should continue to be bred for the beauty of their hides, and length and shape of horns. That's their niche market. They can't compete with the british breeds for beef quality
Some longhorn breeders are using angus and hereford genetics to improve the quality of the carcass, like they did in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Looks like we have come full circle.
If you want a true, pleasant eating exoerience angus and .hereford beef can't be beat. They're second to none

Latest posts