Marketing older cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
We're considering getting rid of our older ( 10+ year old) our mommas. They're still good cows and raise good calves. Normally, I wouldn't consider getting rid of these gals since they're calf raising machines but we're thinking about downsizing due to the increased cost of EVERYTHING. I don't really want to sell them in September/October when prices usually dip and we've got plenty of grass and hay to carry them over the winter. Any ideas on marketing strategies?

Depends on the breed and the breeding. If they are Brahman or Brahman cross they still have a lot of life left and will still bring a good price at the sale barn or private treaty. I sold some 12 years old for a man last year and got the same as the 5 year old cows.
If they are more short lived then I would say they would go for canners at the barn and if you could sell them private treaty you may get a little more if they have good enough breeding that the buyer would want a couple of more calves just for the genetics.

like you i hate like ripp to sell good calf raisers.what id do is sell any open or prob cows.an keep those good calf raisers.odds is because of their age they most likely would be sold as packer cows.sm they would bring .40 to .60 a lb.

bigbull338":1zsof159 said:
like you i hate like ripp to sell good calf raisers.what id do is sell any open or prob cows.an keep those good calf raisers.odds is because of their age they most likely would be sold as packer cows.sm they would bring .40 to .60 a lb.

Don't really have an problems due culling during 05 & 06 drought and they're mainly brangus with a couple tigers thrown in to keep things lively ;-) . I should have asked what time of year would they theoritically bring better money. But then again packer prices wouldn't be too bad since some of those gals will go at least 1300lbs.

the best time to sale now thats a tricky q.sale in fall if they are 7 or 8 months bred.an sale in the spring if they are 7 or 8 months bred.how far their bred says when to sell emm.

I'd try advertising them somewhere first - a small ag paper or something before I took them to the sale barn.

There are always people like myself looking to start with a few good cows and we're always advised finding a good proven bred cow might be a good deal. But please tell me, where do you find them ? :(
I am afraid to go to the sale barn because I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting be niced and not know it till later. I never see them advertised and am too new to know where the farmers are wanting to get rid of some. So think about running a few ads aimed at someone like me in mind - only in your area. :) It'd be worth a try.

Texas Gal,

Your not alone. My next door neighbor and I were talking while looking at his cowherd yesterday. He is planning to sell 10 of his oldest cows. Majority still have life in them, but he has a pile of bred heifers coming up and heifer calves (23 out of a total of 28) from this spring. The way the cow prices are going up, I think it is a good plan on his part. I know we will be culling hard this year as well. Cows are worth more than yearlings at this point in time.

The best price? Depends, if you are not selling them bred sell them now. The prices are better now than they will be in the fall and it is not too late for cattle wo/men to get them bred yet.

If you are selling bred (privater treaty is best for this) it does not matter so much. Like someone already said ~ are plenty of people out there looking to buy older proven cattle who have nothing more wrong with them than being one too many. You may have to compromise on price some as I would pay more for a 5 year old then a 10 year old, but many would prefer to buy a 10 year old to a heifer. See?

Would be a shame to see them go to a packer, but if that is what you choose, sell now.

Right now, the best thing in our area would be to sell them bred. Lots of the new people like to buy them that way. Sort of like buying 2 for the price of 1...

Well, one of the older gals is going to town Sunday after church. She got out twice in one week; she's now home and in the pens waiting for the salebarn to open after their July 4th holiday. I CANNOT/ WILL NOT abide a fence crawler!

Latest posts