Marketing cull cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
I am considering feeding cull cows-- Is there anywhere on the East Coast where a premium is paid for "white fats" or "premium white"
cows?

It was pretty good around here- but the Friday sale was a different story
Not quite as bad as .28 but it dropped off into the .40's and no premium for fats

Wonder what changed?

Howdyjabo":j6chadp6 said:
It was pretty good around here- but the Friday sale was a different story
Not quite as bad as .28 but it dropped off into the .40's and no premium for fats

Wonder what changed?

Fella I know that has good connections with some buyers said the processors are getting backed up. Didn't say why, but a lot of cows are going thru the ring in our area right now.

Here is a way to diversify. We are licensed to sell beef from our freezer by the piece. So most of our cull cows are ground into hamburger and sold for $3 a pound. Beats cull prices. Of course you would need to be licensed, but you may find a local meat processor that would buy your cattle direct for a little more than market so he can save some money on boxed beef. By doing this we keep more money by keeping the middle men out of the equation. Source to consmumer is the way to go. More of the pie for you.

I have about 20 cows to go. All the kill plants are backed up. Top cows at the sale are 40 cents here. Most cows are running in the mid 30's. There is a slaughter plant 60 miles down the road that was paying 80 cents on the rail but they are running 24/7 and there is a wait getting them in. I ran an ad up toward the city calling them hamburger cows for $1.10 hanging. Only sold one so far but the ad just came out.

baxter78":2411ca1e said:
I was gonna send two more culls to market but I have plenty of hay and thought I would feed em through winter and send em to town in the spring when cattle prices go up a little. Then maybe I wont be getting .28 cents per pound. It is cheaper to just shoot and bury the culls than it is to take em to market for .28 cents per pound

Don't suppose you would like to show the math on how you came to that conclusion.

How different things are across the world. It would be very hard here to sell a hamburger cow to anybody, but they will go to the store or McD's and buy it without thinking.

The bottom fell out of the cow market up here, good cows sell in the .30's. Wonder why? Imports?

mnmtranching":1jx2trnp said:
The bottom fell out of the cow market up here, good cows sell in the .30's. Wonder why? Imports?

Two main factors -
1) Lots of cows going to market.
2) Even though our economy is a mess, the U$S has gone way up this year, which makes our beef less competitive.

The cow market in Alberta is pretty poor. Sold two off native grass last week that weighed 1665 and they brought $.3075 or about $512! That would be about 24 cents/lb. or $404/ animal in US dollars?
Now I don't know how your retail beef prices are in the USA but here they are pricey down at the local Safeway? Regular hamburger is around $3/lb. and sirloin steak around $6.50.
Now without a doubt those two cows were pretty full(in the corral over night hogging out on good hay) but suspect they would still yield around 50% or 830/lb. carcass? Probably around 550 lb.of boneless meat?
So if they made them into just hamburger should be worth $1650 gross?
A lot of people don't know that very little of a cull cow actually goes into hamburger. Most goes into various cuts for the manufactured beef trade(think sub-way or steak sandwich). I suspect the gross dollars on my cheap cows would be well over $2200!
On a modern line the cost to debone that cow carcass and save all the cuts are incredibly cheap...about $19/carcass in labor!
There is a lot of money to be made on cattle...just not for the dumb guy raising them!

Well the phone hasn't exactly been ring off the hook for those hamburger cows. Funny I talk to people at work and such and they would be interested but they don't want that much. They don't even want a quarter. I also know a guy who is killing grass fed steers getting them USDA inspected and sell hamburger by the package. He gets $5.00 a pound for the burger and sells it about as fast as he can get it.

Oh well the ad runs for another week. Maybe next week.

A guy down the road from me told me he got a 1000 lb. heifer cut and wrapped for $410 last week. Does that sound reasonable? Seems to me it cost me over $550 for a 1150 lb. steer a couple of years ago.
Have got lazy the last few years and just buy my meat at Safeway.

call FPL foods out of Augusta GA--- they supply WalMart with hamburger-- they will come get them and pay wayyyyyy better that the stockyard---- no one in their right mind still uses the local stockyard for even selling culls----- especially on the east coast

T

4CTophand":yklf06c9 said:
call FPL foods out of Augusta GA--- they supply WalMart with hamburger-- they will come get them and pay wayyyyyy better that the stockyard---- no one in their right mind still uses the local stockyard for even selling culls----- especially on the east coast

T

Ain't that the truth. It's not uncommon to see .20 - .30 cent per pound culls around here. You can really make a lot of money selling them. :roll:

I know several people that buy the culls, feed them for 60 days, and turn them into hamburger. You can get a freezer full of meat cheap this way.

4CTophand":1vey0jna said:

T

I just talked with FPL and it sounds like a pretty decent idea. It depends on grading and quality of cow as to waht price you are getting, right? Can you give an example of how much better price you might get than at the sale barn?

For example, in my area slaughter cows are in the .35-.40 range (that stinks!). If someone had 1200-1500 pd. Angus slaughter cows to sell how much could you expect better by selling to FPL?

Packing plant south of me is paying $.75 a pound hanging weight for cattle. No meds, no fever and ambulatory. Packer weight at sale barns is around $.35 for low yielding cattle to $.56 for high yielding.

Put a few of those cows on the rail and figure the freight and you could be surprised. If there was a lot of money to be had on the culls there would be a lot more buyers. If you think there is money to be had just jump in and buy a potload at the next sale. Maybe there is a chance to make money from a cow without a calf involved. :cowboy:

Latest posts