Market Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a Shorthorn/Maine cross market steer and I had him together with my Holstien steer. Well two days ago I butchered my Holstien and my other steer wont stop pacing, he wont even eat, he is losing weight, and I am afraid he wont make wieght by the fair in mid May. I have tried to tie him to the fence but he just goes crazy, I am afraid he will hurt himself. Help!

[email protected]

> I have a Shorthorn/Maine cross
> market steer and I had him
> together with my Holstien steer.
> Well two days ago I butchered my
> Holstien and my other steer wont
> stop pacing, he wont even eat, he
> is losing weight, and I am afraid
> he wont make wieght by the fair in
> mid May. I have tried to tie him
> to the fence but he just goes
> crazy, I am afraid he will hurt
> himself. Help!

I'm not really sure if there's much you can do, he's obviously upset about losing his friend. Finding him a new friend would probably be best, but if you can't, he might improve with more attention from you, and a smaller pen might keep him from running around and losing weight. Hopefully he'll start feeling less lonesome as time passes. What fair are you going to? Good luck, hope he calms down!

[email protected]

Thanks for your help, I did make his pen smaller, but he spun around in circles so I had to streach it back out. I am going to the San Bernardino County Fair in California. Again thanks for your help. I am going to try to get one of my friends to keep his steer at my house till the fair so that he will calm down.

[email protected]

>If he is still not eating, try some probiotic paste and some good quality grass hay to get him going again. The biggest problem sounds like he needs a cow with him.

Kurt Henry Waylo Cattle

[email protected]