Marines

Help Support CattleToday:

No marines in our country, did my service in the army, mostly airborne reaction force (fireforce) withthe Rhodesian African Rifles. Daughter served in the British army after we moved here.

greybeard - please explain the medals/patch and their significance.
And THANK YOU to all that served.
My dad was a Sergeant in the Army in WWII. Spoke Parisian French, so he was a spy, in Marbach, France. (yes, I'm fullblood frog!!). He NEVER spoke of it. Except, one day I found his medals & purple heart (lost an eye) and there was an article about how he "saved" the town of Marbach, and part of the story said one of his men was wounded and he pulled him swimming across a river under fire.
I said, "but you can't swim". He said, "you can do anything with bullets flying over your head".
He lived to 95 yrs old.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2nyqio9b said:
greybeard - please explain the medals/patch and their significance.

EGA is earned, you don't automatically get it when you join up. You have to at least finish boot camp (which most enlistees do.)
The wings are Combat Aircrew Wings...the 3 stars come from some formula they use involving how many combat strikes or missions are flown and what the missions entailed. I do not now and never did know how they figured it...that was beyond my paygrade.
(The stars in this context, are WAY different and at a lower level, than a Bronze or Silver Star for valor award).

The patch, is just E5 Sgt.

I'm not a Marine, but I want to say that I have a lot of respect and appreciation for all the Marines on here and elsewhere. Thank you VERY MUCH for your service to our country!

With that said we had an election last fall in Kentucky and a highly distinguished Marine was one of the candidates. It was very disappointing how her years of service were viewed as a "joke" and even to the point where her opponent's side was even questioning if she had ever landed fighter jets on aircraft carriers, which she did by the way. The woman signed over her life to the United States and flew combat missions over enemy territory, hardly a joke, that is some deadly serious stuff in my book.

During the election, in one of the counties she was running in, Fleming, there was a large political sign with an American Flag and a Semper Fi flag attached to the t-post that held up the sign. Long story short, someone or multiple people, burned holes with cigarettes in her sign, cut up the sign with knives, and knocked down both the American flag and the Marine flag to the ground. I saw this and I thought it was a sad statement of where we are today in this country. She lost the election, not by much, but she lost. If you look at what she has achieved as a Marine, I think she put her opponent's record to shame, but most in her district couldn't get over the fact that she was a woman, regardless of the missions she completed.

It made me sick to my stomach to see both of the flags desecrated. :mad:

Here is her wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_McGrath

Latest posts