Mares Tail

Help Support CattleToday:

Any sort of ground disturbance coupled with a spray seems to increase the effectiveness of sprays for us. If we can catch it under 12" tall most things will take care of it but once the stem gets bigger than a pencil it is difficult

Allenw said:
Round up, 24D, and dicamba will possibly slow it down at this point.

All the Glysophate did was burn the bottom of the plants and the tops surved. I hit it again today with 2-4 D. I will report back. I don't want to use dicambia because there are soybeans (neighbors beans) very close and I don't want to have any drift at all.

Sprayed duracor and I have to say it is top notch. I did bush hog before spraying and it did not get any of the more mature plants however. The spray guy did not want to use 2-4d on account of drift as there are apple orchards bordering this pasture.

It's surely gone to seed already right? If so, there's no advantage to spraying the mature plants.

Dicamba, 24-d, and Liberty is about all that will work reliably around here. Paraquat will work sometimes as well as a product called Sharpen.

Spray early in the spring to kill the fall germinated stuff, then spray again later in the spring/early summer to kill the spring germinated.

With all due respect I submit you may be attempting to treat the sympton (Mare's Tail) and not the condition that allows them to thrive unabated.
Is the ground subject to being grazed for long periods of time, as in continually for so long as one can see green? Mare's Tail is a 2nd year weed
prone to showing up around 2 years after the ground has been disturbed. Hemp would fall in this category, with button weeds being a 1st year
problem, if you have a seed base in the area discussed. Glysophate and 2-4D will work until enough seed stock survives to gain imunity.
Also the weed spray will decimate any chance of what good forbs you may have of surviving. Those more knowledgeable may be able to advise
you on this situation. I would suggest a good fertilizer program, frost seeding some clover or what grows good in your area and then when it
gets to appropriate height graze hard (as in MIG) for 3 days, pull off for 5 to 6 weeks then repeat. At least do this or something similar on a
portion until you come up with a solution that works for you. I realize this is a program requiring movement of stock more than you are accustomed.
Anyway if the spray doesn't pan out there is more than one way to skin a cat!

With all due respect I submit you may be attempting to treat the sympton (Mare's Tail) and not the condition that allows them to thrive unabated.
Is the ground subject to being grazed for long periods of time, as in continually for so long as one can see green? Mare's Tail is a 2nd year weed
prone to showing up around 2 years after the ground has been disturbed. Hemp would fall in this category, with button weeds being a 1st year
problem, if you have a seed base in the area discussed. Glysophate and 2-4D will work until enough seed stock survives to gain imunity.
Also the weed spray will decimate any chance of what good forbs you may have of surviving. Those more knowledgeable may be able to advise
you on this situation. I would suggest a good fertilizer program, frost seeding some clover or what grows good in your area and then when it
gets to appropriate height graze hard (as in MIG) for 3 days, pull off for 5 to 6 weeks then repeat. At least do this or something similar on a
portion until you come up with a solution that works for you. I realize this is a program requiring movement of stock more than you are accustomed.
Anyway if the spray doesn't pan out there is more than one way to skin a cat!
It was just a fence row.