mare not drinking

Help Support CattleToday:

jcarkie

Reaction score
i have a mare that is due to foal in about 3 weeks i have notice the last few days her water tank is not getting any lower. what would make her not drink very much?? same tank, same hose, same water. i can't see anything forgien in the tank. i know she has been drinking some because her feed bucket had rain water in it and she drank some. i have put out a bucket with water and today i put out another tank in the other pasture.

Dump the tank and scrub it(if possiable) Might have gotten someghing in it you can't see..

i suppose peg has as logical of a suggestion as one can expect. Sometimes an animal just does things for no real reason (at least that us dumb humans can understand), for example, I have two identical 150 gallon water tanks that sit right next to each other in a pen where I keep three horses. I can wash both tanks out, fill them up out of the same water tank and I swear those horses will drink out of one tank until it's empty and then start on the other. Thought it was my imagination for the longest time, but I've watched closely and it's not!

That story doesn't really help you out any I realize, but thought I'd get it off my chest! :)

I have heard that mare's don't drink as much when in foal because the water makes the colt kick inside their belly when it gets to them...but I don't always believe what my sister-in-law tells me, so don't jump on me if you think that theory is a little off-beat :cboy:

http://www.liverystable.net

I keep my horses in a stall at night, they have 2 4 gallon water buckets each that I fill daily. Some will only drink from one and not the other, some don't care, it's just where their nose lands.

You mentioned you had some rain, if the ground is still wet and you have pretty decent grass growth they will get a lot of their water from the grass and any puddled water. My cattle drink a lot less this time of year due to all the water in the grass.

But cleaning your tank is always a good idea.

Alan

Latest posts