Mare not coming in heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I bought a filly last October. She's almost three years old now. I haven't seen her come in heat since the week we bought her. The geldings leave her alone. She doesn't wink or squeal or raise her tail. I thought one of the geldings may have had a retained testicle. I never saw him breed her but just trying through the fence. She doesn't look pregnant at all. Why is she not cycling or is she and I don't notice?

[email protected]

That is a real concern! Could it be she is a late maturer? Possible something wrong with reproductive tract? Possible sterile famale? Hormones out of balance? Might be good idea to have your Vet run some tests on her...blood work, ultrasound to check ovaries, etc. Might be physical problem or mental problem....

[email protected]

> I bought a filly last October.
> She's almost three years old now.
> I haven't seen her come in heat
> since the week we bought her. The
> geldings leave her alone. She
> doesn't wink or squeal or raise
> her tail. I thought one of the
> geldings may have had a retained
> testicle. I never saw him breed
> her but just trying through the
> fence. She doesn't look pregnant
> at all. Why is she not cycling or
> is she and I don't notice? If you bought her in october, this is may she could already be 7 or 8 months bred by now, it takes 11 months. she could have been bred before you got her.

[email protected]

I know that she wasn't bred when I got her. She had been in with these geldings for quite a while and came in heat once after I brought her home. I wonder if a home pregnancy test would work on her.

[email protected]

In our Texas Panhandle area, our Vets usually charge under $25. for a palpation at their facility. For an ultrasound exam, at their facility, in the area of $50 plus or minus. In your case, might be other tests to do to diagnose the problem. One mare we brought in cost $14 to have palpated with one vet. Lot probably depends on whether or not you take a horse in for just one thing or whether there are several things done; and, if your vet charges by each procedure or on an hourly basis.

[email protected]

> I bought a filly last October.
> She's almost three years old now.
> I haven't seen her come in heat
> since the week we bought her. The
> geldings leave her alone. She
> doesn't wink or squeal or raise
> her tail. I thought one of the
> geldings may have had a retained
> testicle. I never saw him breed
> her but just trying through the
> fence. She doesn't look pregnant
> at all. Why is she not cycling or
> is she and I don't notice? as far as retained testicle, if its not dropped its not produceing live semen because its to hot inside the body for semen to live.

[email protected]

A retained testicle is rare, but does not assure 100% that the animal is sterile. Retained testicles are subject to body heat that reduces or eliminates fertility. However, the possibility remains the horse could be sub-fertile, and it only takes one, doesn't it?

I think you need to have an ultrasound done on your mare, not because of the gelding, but because you need to know whether or not she is pregnant.

I just got a new jack the other day and that mare was just all over him. She was backing all up on him and winking and squealing. I was glad he didn't have any interest in her. My other jack doesn't care for her either. Do you have to raise jacks with mares for them to want to breed them?

[email protected]

Latest posts