March blizzard, whee

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
we are on winter storm warning from now until Wed. night. Got up to 18" coming. We have calves with quiet wean flaps we put on a few days' ago. Hope they do ok (they're still with mamas). Got 2 calves due March 30 (our girls tend to go 2 weeks early or at least 1 week early so I sure hope they wait out this storm).
Will have to plow our steep drive almost nonstop so am debating when to catch a few winks...It's a 20 min drive in the snow up and down some gnarly hilly roads to even get to the steep (.5 mi long) driveway at the other end of the property. So yeah, I'm r.e.a.d.y. for spring

It sure beautiful up there, but I couldn't handle it for weeks on end. I'm taking my daughter and some friends knee boarding and water skiing tomorrow. They'll be barefoot and wearing bikinis, not snow suits and boots.

We got a little bit of rain that turned into a wet snow last night. Ground was pretty well white, but grass was still showing through, nothing on the roads. It was almost all gone by this morning, but sure feels cold, for 32 degrees after we had a taste of warm weather earlier. Supposed to go down to 18 again tonight, warmer toward the end of the week, 60 for Sunday.

I have never seen this much snow at once. It has been hairy. Already off the driveway once, busted the hydraulic on the plow, had to drive thru the blizzard to get it fixed at the Western plow dealer the next town over (15 mi). Headed back out now, wish me luck.... Township plows can't keep up out here in the boonies....Doesn't help that when you get into populated areas, the goofballs are walking down the middle of the road.
75 eh?

boondocks; I feel for you, one reason I moved further south from Ct 35 years ago. We got about 2 " when they were calling for 3-8. Sun up and hit 46 on Tues after it stopped but had alot of wind. Most all gone but in the hollows. Then dropped down to 17 tues night and the wind is blowing like all get out. Up to 26 now and not supposed to hit freezing today, with wind chills in the teens still.Maybe we will get lucky and no one will feel like they have to calve today.

farmerjan":1vtgwteo said:
boondocks; I feel for you, one reason I moved further south from Ct 35 years ago. We got about 2 " when they were calling for 3-8. Sun up and hit 46 on Tues after it stopped but had alot of wind. Most all gone but in the hollows. Then dropped down to 17 tues night and the wind is blowing like all get out. Up to 26 now and not supposed to hit freezing today, with wind chills in the teens still.Maybe we will get lucky and no one will feel like they have to calve today.

Well, ours held off calving so far but I sure hope they can hold off a bit longer. It's very snowy and wind chill about zero. Got about 3 feet and with high winds we have drifts much deeper than that even. I love this beautiful area but man, days like yesterday and today (snowshowing down for 2 hrs to feed them, then digging out one truck to go get the other one out of the deep ditch it found yesterday, then towing a neighbor, with a lot of shoveling, snowblowing, and oh yeah, some actual paid labor in between--I am ready for a margarita on a beach! Maybe 2....

BD this year the wife was saying how she missed Maine, wanted to move back to New England after our son graduates, etc. Not anymore. The snow we got this year cured that, and then to read stories like yours is the icing on the cake. Good luck and stay safe. It has to end at some point, right?

Bestoutwest":1chcpexw said:
BD this year the wife was saying how she missed Maine, wanted to move back to New England after our son graduates, etc. Not anymore. The snow we got this year cured that, and then to read stories like yours is the icing on the cake. Good luck and stay safe. It has to end at some point, right?
Well it finally let up but not before our truck found a very deep ditch. Got 'er dug out but in the meantime had a fun (ha) 2 hr snowshoe down to the other end of the farm to feed the cows. Then tonight got diagnosed with pneumonia. Sheesh. Well, son and his g'friend drove 6 hrs today for a quick overnight visit, so that cheered me up. (That, and the dessert they brought. :)

Boondocks: I know the cows have to be fed, but if you are in the hospital they won't get fed so please only do what you absolutely have to and then try and rest every other minute you can. My son wound up with pnuemonia and acute bronchitis and was out of work for 2 weeks and still admits a month later he doesn't feel 100% or have all his strength back. I was doing what I could and he did what he absolutely had to then would go back home and go back into the recliner. Any chance you could talk your son into a long weekend visit to give you a little recoup time? Get better.

farmerjan":v8asiorv said:
Boondocks: I know the cows have to be fed, but if you are in the hospital they won't get fed so please only do what you absolutely have to and then try and rest every other minute you can. My son wound up with pnuemonia and acute bronchitis and was out of work for 2 weeks and still admits a month later he doesn't feel 100% or have all his strength back. I was doing what I could and he did what he absolutely had to then would go back home and go back into the recliner. Any chance you could talk your son into a long weekend visit to give you a little recoup time? Get better.

Thanks! This is good advice. It is hard to admit when you feel puny. I hate going to drs. so usually I just wait it out. It works most of the time, but I need to get better about, well, admitting when I'm not getting better! ;)

Yeah, boondocks; my son is 6-6 225 lbs, 44 yrs old and thinks he is indestructible sometimes. He contracted Lyme disease several years ago and it has compromised his immune system but has steadily been doing better. But when you get run down and are a "macho man" and don't want to admit it, you are doing your body more harm than good. He now will go to the Dr. so that he doesn't put himself in the hospital. He went, they said a flu bug, was getting worse and went back in a week and then they said pnue + acute bronc. and was really sick. At least he had gone once first, but had waited for about a week thinking it wasn't the flu just a cold. Part of it is just pushing yourself so hard especially if you are farming and working another job as most of us do. And they have been working 50 hour weeks instead of 40 so the chores get done later and there is less sleep. We have not had to deal with the weather you have, but the up and down temps here are also hard. Lot of people have had flus and pnuemonia here this winter.
Also, don't know if you are a vitamin person, but with the crazy hours I have milk testing, I take 1000 units vit C, and Echinacea/golden seal combo once or twice a day, the minute I start to feel even a bit run down. It really helps boost the immune system.

farmerjan":3g0tpri4 said:
Yeah, boondocks; my son is 6-6 225 lbs, 44 yrs old and thinks he is indestructible sometimes. He contracted Lyme disease several years ago and it has compromised his immune system but has steadily been doing better. But when you get run down and are a "macho man" and don't want to admit it, you are doing your body more harm than good. He now will go to the Dr. so that he doesn't put himself in the hospital. He went, they said a flu bug, was getting worse and went back in a week and then they said pnue + acute bronc. and was really sick. At least he had gone once first, but had waited for about a week thinking it wasn't the flu just a cold. Part of it is just pushing yourself so hard especially if you are farming and working another job as most of us do. And they have been working 50 hour weeks instead of 40 so the chores get done later and there is less sleep. We have not had to deal with the weather you have, but the up and down temps here are also hard. Lot of people have had flus and pnuemonia here this winter.
Also, don't know if you are a vitamin person, but with the crazy hours I have milk testing, I take 1000 units vit C, and Echinacea/golden seal combo once or twice a day, the minute I start to feel even a bit run down. It really helps boost the immune system.
I'm glad he's doing better with the Lyme issues. It can be hard to get over. Spouse had it and had some lingering issues, as does my immediate neighbor and my dog! We are much more careful with ticks now--clothes go right in the wash when we come in the door. Last I heard there was a clinical trial for a (new) human vaccine in Phase 2, but that's been about 2 years back. If/when they release it, I'll be in the front of the line!

Latest posts