MARC Trends

Help Support CattleToday:

I can't help but notice the Herefords standings: biggest cows; poorest milk; second highest bw. No other breed has been so reluctant to change.

bpwagner115":bl5oixpk said:
Interesting read...

http://www.sustainablegenetics.com/pdf/ ... _track.pdf

The Angus advertisement says that packers want cattle that weigh 1000-1200 lb animals and grade choice. Is that the weight packers are still looking for in fat cattle?

The vast majority of cattle are 1300-1400 at slaughter now by my understanding.

Red Bull Breeder":3hxyx3oh said:
Would be nice to know where there source of cattle for the research was.

I was under the impression they used breed EPD averages and used the across-breed EPD comparisons. For what its worth.....I've never been a big fan of the across breed epds.

Red Bull Breeder":2j3vqlra said:
Would be nice to know where there source of cattle for the research was.

It doesn't match with my experience but I have always been different. :nod:
My smallest cows are Herfs and my biggest yearlings are Limi or Simi crosses.

bpwagner115":pqvcs71z said:
Interesting read...

The Angus advertisement says that packers want cattle that weigh 1000-1200 lb animals and grade choice. Is that the weight packers are still looking for in fat cattle?

I think the whole article is an Angus advertisement. When was this written? Its like the guy has stepped out of a time capsule unaware of the changes made in the cattle industry the past 10-15 years. 1000-1200 lb. steers?? Some of his thoughts seem a little out dated.

He is talking about Angus breeders chasing bigger size cattle? From what I have seen and heard, the reason a lot of commercial cattle folks are looking to other breeds to cross with is that some Angus cattle have gotten too small, along with decreasing fertility. Some of the Angus breed has also chased the low birthweight thing generation after generation that they have shrunk down the pelvic size on heifers to the point they can only have a calf on its own if it weighs less than 60 lbs. Then they wonder why the little squirt has no vigor to it.

If he wants to know the real story, he needs to stop talking so much to the seedstock and association people and go talk to the backbone of the industry, the commercial cattle folks.

In this day and time , raise what is economical for you. The packers are always moving the bar so that they can try to discount calves. Example: f-1 eared calfs, if you sell in November you are discounted, sell in Feb, the same animals can ring the bell. Why??? because their are fewer animals available that time of year and they cannot get away with their discount that is not based I might add on proformance or grade.

bpwagner115":3mji7igm said:
Interesting read...

Why in the world would you want to send a 1200 pounder to slaughter when you get paid more per pound for a 1400 pounder? (more per pound equals more gross $) If the 1400 finishes in the same time frame as the 1200, why wouldn't you?

(I'm talking feeder steers here, not how dinky you want your cows should be)

houstoncutter":3bq3xcss said:
In this day and time , raise what is economical for you. The packers are always moving the bar so that they can try to discount calves. Example: f-1 eared calfs, if you sell in November you are discounted, sell in Feb, the same animals can ring the bell. Why??? because their are fewer animals available that time of year and they cannot get away with their discount that is not based I might add on proformance or grade.

Great post! The goal posts are always moving. Its the same game with registered cattle. Input costs and stocking rates seem so hard to get through to folks.

sim.-ang.king":c94hkh3m said:
bpwagner115":c94hkh3m said:
Interesting read...

Why in the world would you want to send a 1200 pounder to slaughter when you get paid more per pound for a 1400 pounder? (more per pound equals more gross $) If the 1400 finishes in the same time frame as the 1200, why wouldn't you?

The key word in your post is "gross". Nothing comes free and its all about the cost of gain and conversion efficiency.

AllForage":1onp19pl said:
sim.-ang.king":1onp19pl said:
bpwagner115":1onp19pl said:
Interesting read...

The key word in your post is "gross". Nothing comes free and its all about the cost of gain and conversion efficiency.
I've seen plenty of 1200 pounders that could of learned a thing or two about conversion from the 1400 pounders. So like you said cog, and conversion need to be balanced with your what your gross $ will be. That's why basing your Bull purchases after feed (or forage) usage qualities should be right up there with how big he, or his sons will get after 1.5 years, or everyone's favorite, BW.