Marbling in Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

la4angus

Reaction score
For those non-believers, and those that are truly interested, a better explanation of how marbling effects the taste and quality of beef is on
the Briggs Ranch Genetics web site; One of the advertisers on CattleToday online. This may give a better explanation than Frankie, myself, and a few others have been able to give. Hope this helps.

Hello:
I do not like to Eat Beef that is overly marbled.
I do get very offened when someone offers me beef that has lots of fat on it or is overly marbled.

If you would talk to most women that buy there beef at a store they will tell you there young children do not like to eat overley marbled beef.

I do not think that any one has done a study of this? I do think the findings would be interesting if someone did.

It does seem to me younger and older people do not like to eat beef that is overly chewie when there is lots of fat on it or if it is overly marbled.

The best beef that I have every eaten was meat from a 100% Belgian Blue it was the leanes beef that I have ever eaten. If they would deal with the high temps of the desert southwest I would breed them and eat them all my self! But Belgian Blues I do not think they would do well in the middle of range country.
LS

LS":1x314bek said:
Hello:
I do get very offened when someone offers me beef that has lots of fat on it or is overly marbled.

If you would talk to most women that buy there beef at a store they will tell you there young children do not like to eat overley marbled beef.

I do not think that any one has done a study of this? I do think the findings would be interesting if someone did.

It does seem to me younger and older people do not like to eat beef that is overly chewie when there is lots of fat on it or if it is overly marbled.

The best beef that I have every eaten was meat from a 100% Belgian Blue it was the leanes beef that I have ever eaten. If they would deal with the high temps of the desert southwest I would breed them and eat them all my self! But Belgian Blues I do not think they would do well in the middle of range country.
LS
To each his own. I get very offended when someone offers me the dry meat that does not have any marbling in it: It may be tender if cooked medium rare to rare, but tasteless. It has no flavor. This is the case with beef, pork or chicken. The chicken breast should be used in something that is marinated for flavor, because it has none. It is about as worthless piece of meat for taste; except for turkey, especially turkey breast that I believe that is able to be found.
As far as the women that buy there neat in the store; which I would is where most women buy there meat; I doubt that they would buy much at the local pub or the hair dressers so I expect they would buy their meat at the store; if the kids do not likeoverly marbled meat because they probaly never had a chance to eat any overly marbled meat or any marbled meat at all if the ones that you are like, liking that overly lean, double muscled ,dry, lean belgium blue. When the kids want meat with flavor, most moms buy them 50% fat hot dogs,or 70 % vienna sausage.
As far as a study being done on this, I thinks that the findings would be very interesting also. I know some young kids thad had only had lean, well done meat all their life. When they had their first taste of Prime Quality meat cooked Med. Rare, they would not go back to that dry tasteless stuff.

There's a difference between marbling, and trim fat on the outside of the meat. To add to la4, my wife is converted from wanting a well done greyed up steak to medium rare. She had had too many lower quality steaks before her knight came along that were just nasty when done up medium rare. But a higher quality piece of sirloin or better doesn't deserve to be done more than medium. A lot of "chunks" of fat is a big turnoff, but marbling is not that.

LS":1nlj0j45 said:
Hello:

LS

To each his own, but I prefer grainfed marbled beef. I buy CAB when I can get it, but don't buy any steaks less than Choice grade. It's not just a matter of marbling, higher quality grade beef is also less likely to be tough or "chewie." And I think I'd fall into your "older people" category.

There have been several studies by ag universities that show consumers prefer marbled beef. I don't have a link, but check out KS State, OK State, Colo State, they may have something online. The reason packers pay more for cattle that grade is because retailers will pay more and they pay more because consumers pay more for higher quality grade (marbled) beef. Do you seriously think consumers would pay more for something they didn't like? I don't think so.

Beef from double muscled cattle is apparently quite tender and lean. But the double muscling traits also affect fertility and calving ease.

Let these guys try and tell you that the flavor of beef is in the fat. That is pure balony, the flavor is in the protein part. Guess you have to tell lies to sell fat beef. If you want fat buy lard or CAB, if you want protein and beef, buy lean beef.

Fat Guy":3b5qqa5p said:
Let these guys try and tell you that the flavor of beef is in the fat. That is pure balony, the flavor is in the protein part. Guess you have to tell lies to sell fat beef. If you want fat buy lard or CAB, if you want protein and beef, buy lean beef.
Go ahead FAT GUY! :cry: There is not enough of the good stuff for those of you that don't want it. :p Thank you! :D Sounds like you could use the Atkins Diet. :lol: For me I will buy the CAB :p Preferably" PRIME " :p
You eat the Baloney :p

Fat Guy":1ygha87a said:
fat guy
do you use any vegetable oil in your cooking?

Fat Guy":3lyrm3zy said:

I must have missed that post about the flavor being in the fat. Can you point it out? Bermuda grass hay has lots of protein; don't think I'll eat much of it. How about you? I've merely pointed out that consumers time after time choose Choice over Select (more marbled over less marbled beef). No one has to lie; everyone has a preference and there's beef out there to fit anyone's taste. If you choose to raise hamburger cows, go for it. But those who raise high quality beef will generally get paid more for their cattle.

la4angus":3m1s7kzl said:
Fat Guy":3m1s7kzl said:
Go ahead FAT GUY! :cry: There is not enough of the good stuff for those of you that don't want it. :p Thank you! :D Sounds like you could use the Atkins Diet. :lol: For me I will buy the CAB :p Preferably" PRIME " :p
have you eaten Jersey's Rib-eyes? their taste and tenderness are as good or better than Angus

A. delaGarza":3q16tlky said:
la4angus":3q16tlky said:
Fat Guy":3q16tlky said:
have you eaten Jersey's Rib-eyes? they taste and tenderness are as good or better than Angus
Nothing wrong with the jersey rib eye; except not enough of it.

Anonymous":1gpbna46 said:
A. delaGarza":1gpbna46 said:
la4angus":1gpbna46 said:
Fat Guy":1gpbna46 said:
have you eaten Jersey's Rib-eyes? they taste and tenderness are as good or better than Angus
Nothing wrong with the jersey rib eye; except not enough of it.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: why you don't try two or more rib-eyes instead of one :lol: :lol: :lol: anyway meat is sold by the pound :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A. delaGarza :?: :?: :?: :?: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: why you don't try two or more rib-eyes instead of one :lol: :lol: :lol: anyway beef is sold by the pound no matter what :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote said:
Yes, but last summer, before BSE, the packers were paying over $20 cwt for Choice beef over Select. On a 700 lb carcass, that could add up to serious bucks.

A. delaGarza":1x89x0xr said:
la4angus":1x89x0xr said:
Fat Guy":1x89x0xr said:
have you eaten Jersey's Rib-eyes? their taste and tenderness are as good or better than Angus
i have tried jersey rib eyes they were as good but not enough meat for me

Frankie":3t84nhe9 said:
A. delaGarza :?: :?: :?: :?: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: why you don't try two or more rib-eyes instead of one :lol: :lol: :lol: anyway beef is sold by the pound no matter what :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:3t84nhe9 said:
Yes, but last summer, before BSE, the packers were paying over $20 cwt for Choice beef over Select. On a 700 lb carcass, that could add up to serious bucks.

Frankie, I agree but we're talking about flavor

tracy":3ckckjib said:
A. delaGarza":3ckckjib said:
la4angus":3ckckjib said:
Fat Guy":3ckckjib said:
i have tried jersey rib eyes they were as good but not enough meat for me
once again If you like them you can eat several Jersey Rib-eyes, we're talking about flavor and Jersey meat has tenderness and taste