Marbling...how much should you care?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
Got the grid data back on our steers a couple weeks ago. Almost all were SAV sired. We fed them about 3-4 weeks longer than I would have liked but the fed cattle market kept rallying and we had corn bought cheaper so the math worked to keep going

68 head 17 months old
1393 Live weight #885 carcass. 63.55% dress
27 head Prime
41 Choice
55 head YG1-3

Our feed conversions were good, don't have that data in front of me at the moment. Had too many go over 1050 and those were the ones that hurt our YG.

Never have used a "carcass" angus bull and won't chase that solely either.

TennesseeTuxedo

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
Got the grid data back on our steers a couple weeks ago. Almost all were SAV sired. We fed them about 3-4 weeks longer than I would have liked but the fed cattle market kept rallying and we had corn bought cheaper so the math worked to keep going

68 head 17 months old
27 head Prime
41 Choice
55 head YG1-3

Our feed conversions were good, don't have that data in front of me at the moment. Had too many go over 1050 and those were the ones that hurt our YG.

Never have used a "carcass" angus bull and won't chase that solely either.
Very impressive.

J+ Cattle

Reaction score
68 head 17 months old
27 head Prime
41 Choice
55 head YG1-3
Had too many go over 1050 and those were the ones that hurt our YG.
The Choice-Select spread has been pretty significant in recent months, currently it's $28.32. The premiums for Choice, CAB, and Prime would outweigh the discounts for the YG4s. In other words it paid out well to feed 3-4 weeks longer....it takes money to make money.;)

Now based on your results do feel a need to reduce the external back fat by selecting bulls with a negative FAT EPD? Couldn't that help lower the number of YG4s?

J+ Cattle

Jake

Reaction score
The Choice-Select spread has been pretty significant in recent months, currently it's $28.32. The premiums for Choice, CAB, and Prime would outweigh the discounts for the YG4s. In other words it paid out well to feed 3-4 weeks longer....it takes money to make money.;)

Now based on your results do feel a need to reduce the external back fat by selecting bulls with a negative FAT EPD? Couldn't that help lower the number of YG4s?

J+ Cattle
Agreed, the YG4 discounts weren't punitive at all compared to the premiums and added weight.

Probably won't try to cut any back fat out of the herd as I still make more money by having easy fleshing mommas than what I get hit for those 4s.

Latest posts