MAR Double XL 320

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
I haven't seen any posts on Mar Double XL 320 lately.
Just wondering why he hasn't caught on in a big way.
He doesn't seem to have holes. My only guess is that there are so many Ten X sons.
I think SAV Ten Speed would be much more popular if he had a different daddy.

I have thought the same thing about S A V Ten Speed. Surprised he isn't more popular. I have thought about using him on several occasions, but have yet to do so so far. My concern is his foot/hoof quality and what kind of feet do his offspring have given he is out of Tex X and his dam is out of Bismarck (though I haven't had feet issues with any of my Bismarck daughters over the years)? There still isn't any foot score data available on Ten Speed through the AAA. I also think the $40 per straw cost on Ten Speed hurts his popularity, especially among commercial breeders.

Not sure why MAR Double XL 320 hasn't caught on more. I did notice that ST Genetics did not devote any space to him in their Fall 2018 Sire Directory. That probably doesn't help.

I'm not sure every animal out of Ten X has bad feet. There is a lot of "information" on the internet and not all of it is true.
I know a person who has about a dozen Deer Valley All In cows with no problems. All In is another bull that seems to have lost his shine but I like him. The foot score data is self-reporting and if you have a bull with good feet it would make sense for you to get your data in. I could not tell you how many foot scores would have to be turned in to get a .41 accuracy or whatever number accuracy you choose. $40 per straw has derailed a LOT of bulls, in my opinion. I think Select Sires has a better strategy of keeping prices reasonable. I wish I had enough cows and land to try all the bulls out there that I like.

Luckiamute":1p0lom0o said:
I have thought the same thing about S A V Ten Speed. Surprised he isn't more popular. I have thought about using him on several occasions, but have yet to do so so far. My concern is his foot/hoof quality and what kind of feet do his offspring have given he is out of Tex X and his dam is out of Bismarck (though I haven't had feet issues with any of my Bismarck daughters over the years)? There still isn't any foot score data available on Ten Speed through the AAA. I also think the $40 per straw cost on Ten Speed hurts his popularity, especially among commercial breeders.

Not sure why MAR Double XL 320 hasn't caught on more. I did notice that ST Genetics did not devote any space to him in their Fall 2018 Sire Directory. That probably doesn't help.

Ten Speed calves have been the only calves from SAV that we haven't really worked for us.
We have had many of them get sick and die. Just last week we had a two year old second calver die out of the blue.
The ones we do have left don't have that same Schaff look to them. They are bigger framed and lack the thickness and fleshing ability. Probably the Ten X in him. One of them has really bad feet also.

Air gator":18hzdjtd said:
I'm not sure every animal out of Ten X has bad feet. There is a lot of "information" on the internet and not all of it is true.
I know a person who has about a dozen Deer Valley All In cows with no problems. All In is another bull that seems to have lost his shine but I like him. The foot score data is self-reporting and if you have a bull with good feet it would make sense for you to get your data in. I could not tell you how many foot scores would have to be turned in to get a .41 accuracy or whatever number accuracy you choose. $40 per straw has derailed a LOT of bulls, in my opinion. I think Select Sires has a better strategy of keeping prices reasonable. I wish I had enough cows and land to try all the bulls out there that I like.
Ain't that the truth! :)

I like my Double XL`s, They just calved, before calving they were as good as anything ive had, calves have pulled them down some which is expected, seem to be milking just fine, no feet issues so far.
I think S T dropped him because he didn't make the cut for sexed, conventional froze fine, the sexed wouldn't, that's way above me.
I think Discovery is way better than All In, just not pure calving ease, but who wants that on Mature cows.

LC, Sorry to hear of your bad luck with Ten Speed calves.
That sort of thing makes you sick yourself.

Lucky,
I think the market is going to need to pick up a little before we jump and expand.
Wasn't it going to get better when China opened up for us? What happened with that?

Bse,
Not knowing everything about Double XL, I like the looks of him and I really liked when St Gen had all the photos of his mother/sisters etc. You could do worse. By the way, EXAR Stud is another heifer bull out of Ten X that I like. He has had some nice calves in some of the sales lately.