Manure Spreaders

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a used spreader to take advantage of the free nitrogen for my food plots. Ive been giving manure away up until this point. I've got a 40hp Kubota to pull it with. What are good models to look for?

If it's an open tractor you don;t want a top beater type spreader. The spreaders I've had through the years are so old that there is no way of knowing even the make let alone the model

NonTypicalCPA":3vxcwg3t said:
I'm thinking about picking up a used spreader to take advantage of the free nitrogen for my food plots. Ive been giving manure away up until this point. I've got a 40hp Kubota to pull it with. What are good models to look for?

I have a JD model N....that ought to date it, in original condition. Only damage is that one of the side boards is rotted away but up in the lower, left, front corner which is before the containment area and is of no functional value. Best I can tell it still has the OEM tires, weather cracked to beat all but still hold air for years at a time (between checking pressure).

The ground drive moves the bars along the floor, moving product to the rear. The PTO drives the slingers. There is a handle, accessible from the tractor seat, that varies the floor scrapers from zero ft/unit time to 1 of 5 speeds.

It's parts are loose and wobble but it still works well and I really like it. I used to use it to dispense the clumps of debris that accumulate when you feed round bales, one on top of another (limited space). Now, having sold off my herd, I use it for leaves that I vacuum up in the fall and old hay bales that don't get sold...put residue out on my annually planted hay patch and work up the humus in the soil.

All of the above is for your information in that old may not matter in your quest for a spreader. I bought it over 10 years ago (at least) at an auction site and only thing I have done to it was to replace a couple of missing links (when I bought it) on one of the ladder chains (TSC had the parts) that drag the steel bars along the floor to move the product to the slingers at the rear.

Hard to beat an old groud drive for smaller acres. I've got an old JD model L and H. Also use my buddies Case. All ground drive 1940's / 50's ground drive. Reliable, easy to work on, and can be had cheap ($200-$1,000 Midwest). They also hold used value pretty well in areas with acreages. Given the choice I'd pick an older model with wood bottom and sides as they are cheaper and easier to replace wood.

I only give away manure to friends, unless someone wants to hand scoop the barn. Not many takers on that!

For $2k you should be able to hunt down a good used New Idea 362/3622 series. A lot of used manure spreaders are way overvalued by at least $1500-2000.

If your spending more than $500, I would avoid a ground drive unit as you'll never get your money out of them if you want to resell.

That being said, all I have for a spreader is a ground-driven Allis Chalmers 95G which I paid $200 for, put $400 in parts into and has spread so many loads it doesn't owe me a dime. But I never put wet saturated bedding into it as it can't handle it - one of the limits with ground driven types.

I'm leaning towards a ground drive to pull behind my Kawasaki Mule, otherwise I have to unhook the tractor to load and hook back up to spread. I'm a one tractor operation, lol.

NonTypicalCPA":3mhtqenq said:
I'm leaning towards a ground drive to pull behind my Kawasaki Mule, otherwise I have to unhook the tractor to load and hook back up to spread. I'm a one tractor operation, lol.

Then you will need to look at a very small ground drive unit.

The problem with the mule for pulling it is the center of balance will be too far back. I use a ground drive and pull it with my pickup.
But I suppose it depends on the size of the spreader and the size of the load

NonTypicalCPA":2y9n5kx7 said:
Here are some small spreaders on tractorhouse: https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/f ... =MILLCREEK

Also Tractor Supply sells one that is in your price range and can be pulled by your mule: Price 2300 and some dollars

Also you might check Craigslist there in Mi there a few of the small spreaders listed there. Also Hodges Equipment at Fenton has a nice one For $850 used. Ad last updated in Dec.

Thanks folks. I've looked at those Millcreek spreaders. One of their larger ground drive models would work, if I could find a used one. I'll probably end up with a used PTO as they are more often found on Craigslist.

Someone spent a lot of time restoring that spreader - very pretty. If you're still wanting to use your Mule to spread with, it's too big. Guessing over 1,000lbs empty, and probably close to 100bu capacity.

Would look pretty nice with your Kubota though! Might be missing a side cover (picture 3), but you'd have to research that model to verify. Most likely sandblasted - make sure everything turns freely without a bunch of media in the bearings.

NonTypicalCPA":ugzvgdgi said:
https://centralmich.craigslist.org/grd/d/manure-spreader/6439998564.html

What's your thoughts on this one?

Make sure the bed chains are in pretty good shape. If they are rusted bad and wore out they will start to break easy. And guess when they will break ?? When there's a full load of poop on it.

My advice is to get one as big as your tractor will handle. Even then you'll wish it was bigger. Good investment.

Well I found a like new Pequea 80 on Craigslist and sent the guy a check yesterday for $2,400. PTO driven. Looking forward to using it this spring.

Latest posts