manure spreader

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
I have a mess. Old hay I inherited when I started running cows on the farm has now weathered out, most of it, and is done. I've got to move/push it out of the hay pen and clean this mess up for new hay. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with spreaders can tell me what model/type spreader will work for scattering this old/rotten/decomposed hay mix with strings mixed in it. Just a mess. I figure I'll pick up what strings I can find. Spread it, then walk the pasture picking up what else I can find. I'm sure it will be a tangled up cluster, but I've got to do something. I don't see it burning. Will those plastic strings decompose in a compost pile?

Any of the old ground drive top beater types will work. That's what I use ours for, less the strings. Although when we bought this place there were stringsi n everything. Spread it any way

We "rented" our neighbor's, to spread years worth of old hay, but no strings were in the stuff. It was a big New Holland, took us 4 10 hour days to haul the stuff to the other acreage.
Words of advice; get the biggest one you can for the money... Less trips to the field that way
Have two tractors, one to pull the wagon and one to load!

It was a big job, but weeks later you could see the green up in the grass when we spread it!

Latest posts