Manure bleaching hair white on a red calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Before I had a heifer with a perfect white 'O' on her side. We always joked that someone had went and painted her. She had a hint of shorthorn blood in her but was born completely black. It developed with age.

Here's my cow I posted about earlier in this topic. Her spot is lessening each day since she started losing her winter hair. It was more round, whiter, and about 4 times the size in the picture.
9E943FF3.jpg

If it's a birthmark it does not disqualify. Shave it and see if the skin is white or red, if the skin is red she still can be category I. If the skin is white, if you can prove it's a scar I think you're still ok, otherwise any cow with a freeze brand would be ineligible.

ShuterSunset":1ouuyma7 said:
Here is a picture of the calf.

What color was she when she was born? If solid red there is no reason she couldn;t be registered with the RA Association

ShuterSunset":iiti6f6x said:
she was solid red when she was born.
That pretty well answers if she's registerable or not. You may run into some resistence to her when/if you try to sell her though.

Was yacking with the vet today and I asked about the bleaching deal. He said that manure wouldn;'t do it. Urine is the culprit from his experience. With dark skinned cattle when the rine has killed the color pigment it stays white.

Latest posts