Manure application...

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
When we pumped thr laggon at the dairy it took about 6 months before the cow willingly grazed the pasture.

Evenly spread over an entire field they wouldn't have much of a choice would they? I see lots of dairies that cover their entire farm and the cows seem to graze away. Apply it to short grazed or mowed grass (4 or 5 inches). Then allow the grass to grow out. Don't apply it to 12 inch tall grass and expect them to eat it. That wont work, I don't care how much it rains.

Dogs and Cows":2qzcggij said:
I don't know about a good price or not...but seems fair.

Thanks for the info fellas!

Is it solid or liquid? There are certainly big differences in dairy manure. How is the manure handled? How well are the cows fed? The typical dairy manure from a lagoon in this area will test about 16 pounds of N per 1,000 gallons. Seperated solids are pretty much worthless as a fertilizer. They test very poorly for any nutrients. Straight solid manure, as in manure pushed up into a pile will test pretty good. You listed the price as $30/ton/acre. Is it $30 a ton or $30 per acre because a ton wouldn't be nearly enough for an acre. Just as in soil, a person should test. That way you know what you are getting and how much you need.

Latest posts