Manners Part II

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
The yes sir no sir thread got me to thinking about opening doors for people - especially ladies. I was taught you did this even if you had to wait on them to get there. Several years ago during the height of the women's liberation movement I encountered a few women who were insulted by this act. Thankfully it seems this is a rare event today and seems to be limited to those who are "butch". Of course this gives me all the more motivation to continue this. How do ya'll do it?

You need to keep an eye on them Butches JO, they'll give you a whooping. :lol: :lol:

I was taught to hold the door for ladies and elders. Also to wait until ladies and elders had entered an elevator before going in. And to give up my seat on a bus if someone needed it. I get some odd looks and resistance from time to time, but I'm not changing anything.

It's just a matter of being polite and being a gentlemen. To those who are insulted by it, I just let the go of the door. Hope it doesn't hit 'em on the a$$ on the way out........

When I went off to college I had two different women say to me that they could open the door on there own. They both had a northern type accent. No offense to my northern friends. I wonder if there isnt a differnt attitude in the north versus the south?

I am just an old country boy and i dont know much but i was taught to do this so if my mind anit in outter space i do hold the door open i figure if they don't want me to do this just say so i'll close it then they can do it for them self's.

rattler

VanC":o14bva2v said:
I will hold a door for anyone, regardless of their age or gender. Most seem to appreciate it.
Yup, that's the way I do it

I hold the door for everybody. If it's a women or someone older than me I let them pass through first while I hold it open. I haven't rode the bus for 20 years but giving up your seat for a lady or someone older than you was what I was taught and always did.

Not only was I taught these things by my parents but I can remember actually being taught these things in elementary school. Some others were, standing when a lady enters the room, never shake someone's hand while you are sitting down, always stand first. The one I don't remember ever doing was, when walking down the street with a lady the man should always walk closest to the curb.

Train":1ugt2ia7 said:
The one I don't remember ever doing was, when walking down the street with a lady the man should always walk closest to the curb.

I forgot about this one but I learned it too. I think this is from the dirt road and mud puddle days but I still will do it in a heavy traffic area like Atlanta.

Yup, dirt road and mud puddles was the reasoning. Of course nowadays the only lady I'd be walking with is my wife and there's no way I'm making it that easy for her to collect on my life insurance. One quick push while I'm not paying attention and she'd own the farm outright. :lol2:

Train":15uckha8 said:
Not only was I taught these things by my parents but I can remember actually being taught these things in elementary school.
So was I.

Some others were, standing when a lady enters the room, never shake someone's hand while you are sitting down, always stand first. The one I don't remember ever doing was, when walking down the street with a lady the man should always walk closest to the curb.
If I am not on the curb side while walking with a lady, I feel very uncomfortable.

dun":28gweguf said:
VanC":28gweguf said:
I will hold a door for anyone, regardless of their age or gender. Most seem to appreciate it.
Yup, that's the way I do it

I do this especially for the elderly but usually to anyone else as well, even younger than myself even if it is to hold it open so they can grab it themselves. There is nothing ruder than someone walking through a door and letting it close behind them when you are only a couple of steps behind, that really t's me off.

Just like the word please and thank you has been forgotten, sometimes I just want to smack a cashier when they do not greet you , do not tell you the amount with a please and do not say thank you after you have paid.. :? After all doesn't the consumer really pay their wage. :roll:

Train":14t20joi said:
Yup, dirt road and mud puddles was the reasoning. Of course nowadays the only lady I'd be walking with is my wife and there's no way I'm making it that easy for her to collect on my life insurance. One quick push while I'm not paying attention and she'd own the farm outright. :lol2:

Lmao!!! :lol: Thanks for the great idea!!! :lol2:

On this subject.....you should hear my husband talk to the elderly.... "yes, maame"..."oh no sir"..."yes sir"...DRIVES ME NUTS. I know its polite of him and for that I'm really proud....but he's like ol Eddie Haskel on "Leave it to Beaver"... he schmoozes just a little much and its hilarious to watch. Needless to say, old folks ABSOLUTELY LOVE HIM....(especially ladies...he had my great aunt Ruthie batting her eyes and oogling at him...) I should post the picture of him kissing my grandma on the cheek....its priceless.

Please don't get the wrong idea...I know what's proper and how to speak/act respectfully to people...he just kicks it up a notch. :lol2:

Went to a cattlemen's meeting a month or so ago with two older gentlemen, held the door open for both of them. We were given tickets as we paid for the meal in order of arrival. At the end of the night the first man that I let in won the door prize of $100. Being polite doesn't always pay!

Jogeephus":13xln7h0 said:
The yes sir no sir thread got me to thinking about opening doors for people - especially ladies. I was taught you did this even if you had to wait on them to get there. Several years ago during the height of the women's liberation movement I encountered a few women who were insulted by this act. Thankfully it seems this is a rare event today and seems to be limited to those who are "butch". Of course this gives me all the more motivation to continue this. How do ya'll do it?

I do it all the time for the ladies :heart:!!! Most always generates a smile. Although, I have noticed that there are certain ones that rarely ever say "thank you" or appreciate the gesture. (and they weren't butch looking)

Jogeephus":18hged4m said:

Oh wow, I think you guys should all come over here and teach the men folk some manners.

Seriously, there are not many guys around that will hold doors open for a woman to walk through first, or open and close the car door for her. But when a guy does it, I just melt. I have no idea how to describe the way it makes a woman feel (well, except for those like you mentioned) but its good, all good.

Latest posts