mange problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

NitaiS

Reaction score
Hi. I have miniature zebu cattle and one bull in particular is having some problems. In general it seems like lice and ringworm are going around, but we think this guy might have mange (in addition to ringworm and warts). We have treated him 3 consecutive times with ivomec and have now begun spraying him with a pyrethrin spray of 0.5%, as suggested by the vet. I just wanted to see if someone could give any further guidance as the vet did not seem to sure himself. Some days there are like quarter or so sized bloody spots on his sides or legs.I have looked around the forum but did not find anything conclusive. Thank you in advance.

here are pics:

I don't recall seeing anything that looked exactly like that . I reckon if I were you I would try treating those spots with iodine .

Larry

I don't recall seeing anything just like that either. Doesn't look like ringworm or lice... not sure on mange. I'd be inclined to try iodine as Larry suggested, and if that doesn't clear it up, you might also consider it could be an allergic reaction to something; the spots are on the legs, brisket, and areas where the hindquarters would contact the ground. Maybe some plant out in the pastures?

It looks like eczema (no idea how you spell that?) The dry bare skin in the background looks like it can be mange, but not the spots.

A fungiside like lime sulphar might help in the short term, but if the cause is an allergy it will be back, I fear.

Thank you all for the replies. What mixture of iodine would you all suggest? Regarding an allergy, I suppose anything is possible but the only new element he has been introduced to would be different batches of hay and different batches of straw. Now we have him separated and sleeping on a straw/wood shavings mix with no pasture but just bare ground around.

Does anyone know when I might see some results from the pyrethrin and thereby know to continue use?

Thank you all for the help, this is the first time I have been pushed to join the forum, but I have relied on it quite a few times. Thanks for doing the service.

Heres a pic of the stomach, which was the original problem, and looked more like mange. The white crusty spots above came later, and as you indicate, dont really look like mange.

--Hmmm, wont let me upload. oh well...

NitaiS":1wewnecz said:
Thank you all for the replies. What mixture of iodine would you all suggest? Regarding an allergy, I suppose anything is possible but the only new element he has been introduced to would be different batches of hay and different batches of straw. Now we have him separated and sleeping on a straw/wood shavings mix with no pasture but just bare ground around.

Does anyone know when I might see some results from the pyrethrin and thereby know to continue use?

Thank you all for the help, this is the first time I have been pushed to join the forum, but I have relied on it quite a few times. Thanks for doing the service.

Heres a pic of the stomach, which was the original problem, and looked more like mange. The white crusty spots above came later, and as you indicate, dont really look like mange.

--Hmmm, wont let me upload. oh well...

Just get the iodine spray mixed with methyl blue that you can buy at any farm supply store. I am not sure what the mixture is but I know it contains methy blue as it is purple and iodine as well. Works good on ring worm and warts and whatever else ails the skin I have found. We call it blue lotion around here or blue iodine spray. It seems to work fairly well on foot rot to.

Actually, Brahman or Zebu cattle don't get mange. They do however, get something we call "rain rot", which is probably what you've got. I've had it on some of my Brahman cattle here, but not nearly as badly as your bull has. Has it been excessively wet there? Brahman cattle tend to have more skin problems when the weather is damp. Lots of sunshine will help clear it up, but to keep the itching to a minimum, try an antiseptic paste, like "Swat", which is labeled for horses, but works good on cattle too.

TheBullLady":z15u0g64 said:
Actually, Brahman or Zebu cattle don't get mange. They do however, get something we call "rain rot", which is probably what you've got. I've had it on some of my Brahman cattle here, but not nearly as badly as your bull has. Has it been excessively wet there? Brahman cattle tend to have more skin problems when the weather is damp. Lots of sunshine will help clear it up, but to keep the itching to a minimum, try an antiseptic paste, like "Swat", which is labeled for horses, but works good on cattle too.
That is great to know! Thank you. It is the rainy season (Northern CA, USA), although it has been very warm and dry for the most part, to a frightening degree. I could see it possibly being wet bedding. We have been having a terrible problem with our cattle eating their straw and practically no matter how much we put down, they eat most, and soil the rest. Then proceed to sleep in it.

He has been getting sun for quite a few days now (like 2 weeks maybe even). I have seen a little improvement, but not sure if it was the same problem. Do you suggest that I ONLY use "swat", or should I use it in addition to other things? If so, what else? Sorry to hound you, I know others have answered, but you seem to be the first with Brahman familiarity so I would really appreciate it.
Thank you!

TheBullLady":1eesi7rr said:

Can you explain why they won't get mange? Why would the mite not be interested in brahman cattle?

KNERSIE":20ar9vsy said:
Can you explain why they won't get mange? Why would the mite not be interested in brahman cattle?

Gotta be the glorious hump!

Bad jokes aside, I am curious too. I did a superficial search online with no results. Also, is there another term for bovine rain rot, it seems to always refer to horses?

I appreciate the patience with my "newbie-ness" or whatever one might call it.

Latest posts