Mandated Prescription for antibiotics

Help Support CattleToday:

Lisagrantb

Reaction score
What's all this about starting in 2023 almost all antibiotics that we normally use will require a prescription from the vet.
Just what I need, something else to do and cost more when I'm trying to treat a simple case of hoof rot on a cow in the middle of nowhere while she is in front of me.

Here is a question and answer on the topic.

The rest of my post may be controversial. The reason for this plan is increasing antibiotic resistance. Antibiotic resistance is real. My vet tells me she has noticed a significant increase in resistance in the past several years. When the animal is not responding to antibiotic treatment, samples are sent for lab culture analysis. The report comes back with results as to what bacteria it is as well as how responsive various antibiotics were on that particular sample. That is the basis of her statement to me. Lab results coming back showing resistance to almost all or all antibiotics. Similar to dewormer resistance due to overuse. Use of antibiotics as a preventative or at less than the recommended dosage contributes to this. Giving an antibiotic as a preventative may work for you until eventually it does not work for anyone. That is the reason for these new proposed restrictions.

I don't disagree with you Simme, but do feel like we (the producers) are being punished for a problem that usually starts a step above us in the production chain. Very few cattle as a percentage ever get a shot of antibiotics at the producer level. And I would bet that the vast majority of those that are treated either get better or die. Either of these outcomes should be a satisfactory result as far as not creating anti microbial resistance.
However, it is a fact that microbial resistance is developing so perhaps it's best to play along and maybe our antibiotics will continue to work as advertised for a good bit yet. Maybe the rules will prevent some folks from misusing medicine, and cause others to use it more responsibly.
As I stated above, it hasn't been a hardship for me. My vet will sell me what I think I will need for the problems I expect. I do record every shot administered, although no one has ever asked to see those records….. yet.

I participate on a couple cattle groups on Facebook and it amazes me how often someone will pose a question, followed by "I already gave her LA300". Why? Did she actually need it? Was that the appropriate antibiotic? It appears the majority of overuse & under-dosing is from someone relatively new to cattle. And tetracyclines/penicillin is fairly inexpensive. Whereas, a more "seasoned" producer isn't going to randomly administer Draxxin because they're not sure what's wrong with the cow/calf/bull.

Yes, it will take planning ahead, more paperwork and possibly (probably) increase the cost of antibiotics. Just like when they implemented the VFD for antibiotics in feed/mineral. But if you have a good relationship with your vet and they're familiar with your operation, it really isn't that much of a hassle. And, just maybe, it will appease the activists that are convinced producers and their products are the cause of antibiotic resistance (and everything else) in their overweight, inactive kids.

I use a mobile vet supply, not sure if anyone in y'all's area does this or not. I shoot him an text and he brings about anything I need to the house or drops it at the local gas station for me within 24 hrs. The first time I called him he got with my vet and got a script card for me. He brought my Fall working meds by the house about 9:30 last night. His prices are always as good or better than anyone I can find. It's really a great service, they've brought me everything from repeater syringes to Coccidia crumbles.

What's all this about starting in 2023 almost all antibiotics that we normally use will require a prescription from the vet.
Just what I need, something else to do and cost more when I'm trying to treat a simple case of hoof rot on a cow in the middle of nowhere while she is in front of me.

We knew about that several years ago. TAMU workshop I attended said we were in that road.