Making your own hydraulic hoses.

Help Support CattleToday:

Good question Fence, I have often thought about the possibility and have often wondered if there were some simple dies that could be used with a workshop press. I think a limiting factor for me would be buying hose as a whole roll would not be worthwhile.

I must admit though the local mechanical workshop in town is very reasonable and they will drop things to do a hose for me and cost it out with materials and not that much for the crimping and they have a big stock of various fittings and good equiptment to do it.

Ken

If everything had the same fitting, and same size hose, it would be worth it, but if your stuff is like mine, you would need fifty different fittings, and five different sizes of hose.

2.0 is correct I think. We have the whole set up at work. You would have to be going through a whole bunch of hoses to make it worth the money. I think you'd be $2k in it just to get set up with all the hoses, fittings ,different dies and the press.

I've said for years I was going to but haven't yet. Biggest reason is so many diffrent hoses and fitting.
It would cost me at least 10K to set up a basic supply. And lots of times I'd be splicing a hose rogater instead of building a new one cause I wouldn't have the right end.
I can't pay for it on savings but I can pay for it on running time.

jedstivers":1cokemmx said:
I've said for years I was going to but haven't yet. Biggest reason is so many diffrent hoses and fitting.
It would cost me at least 10K to set up a basic supply. And lots of times I'd be splicing a hose rogater instead of building a new one cause I wouldn't have the right end.
I can't pay for it on savings but I can pay for it on running time.

That's how we justify it. We lose about 1500 an hour when we go on down time.

wbvs58":dsi91y7y said:
Good question Fence, I have often thought about the possibility and have often wondered if there were some simple dies that could be used with a workshop press. I think a limiting factor for me would be buying hose as a whole roll would not be worthwhile.

I must admit though the local mechanical workshop in town is very reasonable and they will drop things to do a hose for me and cost it out with materials and not that much for the crimping and they have a big stock of various fittings and good equiptment to do it.

Ken
Yes
There is some simple dies that work with a bottle jack. Can be had for a couple hundred bucks. I've also seen a setup that used a air impact to do the crimp.

We try to use all reusable brass or ss fittings on the boats and keep everything the same. A grinder with a cut off wheel and a flair to flair will fix about anything we have.

Just like plumbing, you can have a pile of fittings and still not have the right one.. then there's the single and double braided hoses that take different fittings on top of it all.
I can get an 8' length of 3/8th with fittings on it for $24... buying the fittings would probably put you at $10 already..

You really have to be blowing a lot of hoses to make it pay, and in which case some more careful preventative maintenance may pay better.. yeah, there's always the surprises of course, but most will show signs of age well before death. It depends on the piece of equipment and how critical it is.. Balers are very high on the list, but perhaps a scraper blade not so much

There was a company, I don't remember the name that sold replaceable fittings and hose when a hose blew you would take the hose off take the fittings off cut new hose replace fittings put hose on and off you go.
Once you had the all right fittings all you had to keep in stock was the hose.