Making Tomato Juice..anybody else make any.......

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Anybody else still make any as it is great to add to soup or drink, nothing added except a half spoon of salt in each jar. I used 3 boxes of tomato's I got out of the garden and ran them through the juicer. It took me bout 4 hours this morning to complete.
L047GtQ.jpg

Cooked it until boiling and then pressured to 5 pound to seal the lids good.
2Q16YZS.jpg

What the juicer didn't get I finished which wasn't much.
pitgFWj.jpg

With three boxes I had maybe a gallon strained out.
ucl6dA6.jpg

The three boxes made 25 quarts.
OU1jayF.jpg

7Jo9cov.jpg

It looks good. We just put the tomatoes through the food processor so we have diced tomatoes. We don't drink the juice or make much soup. But we do use lots of diced. My wife has been working hard this past 4 weeks putting up 2 water baths full every day. I think she's done about 60 quarts so far. By the way, our kitchen is never that clean when doing tomatoes.

jltrent":3sf4e0uo said:
Anybody else still make any as it is great to add to soup or drink, nothing added except a half spoon of salt in each jar.

L047GtQ.jpg

The three boxes made 25 quarts.

7Jo9cov.jpg
Yours sounds too healthy....

I prefer adding 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar per quart.

Mom did....I don't. Don't normally buy it either. If I need tomato juice i put a can of tomatoes in the blender and spin it up. :D

Jltrent, not knocking your process because that juicer looks pretty neat but have you ever seen a Mehu-Liisa? This is what I use to juice tomatoes. Its old school but works like a charm. I also use it on apples, pears, blueberries, grapes, blackberries or anything else I want to juice in volume. Its very easy to use and very efficient and anyone planning on canning much food might find one of these a good tool to have. Just a suggestion.

Jogeephus":ynzzpus6 said:
Jltrent, not knocking your process because that juicer looks pretty neat but have you ever seen a Mehu-Liisa? This is what I use to juice tomatoes. Its old school but works like a charm. I also use it on apples, pears, blueberries, grapes, blackberries or anything else I want to juice in volume. Its very easy to use and very efficient and anyone planning on canning much food might find one of these a good tool to have. Just a suggestion.
Thanks, I may try one I have never seen or heard of them...........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mehu-Liisa-11-L ... SwY45UQCDP

More tomatoes getting ready in the ripping process........

S9EYoh5.jpg

Looking at all those tomatoes I think you'd definitely like a Mehu-Liisa.

They vary in price and I think Walmart even carries them. I think the difference in price is the thickness of the pots. Mine has a thick stainless steel bottom on the boil pot and it really does well. It just makes processing any sort of juice simple. With tomatoes you don't even have to take the stems off but I usually stem and quarter and use the remains to make tomato paste.

I used to make sause, I have an old stainless strainer hooked to a windshield wiper motor that works well. Eventually I determined that what I can buy for a $1 actually tastes better.

Latest posts