Making the best SimAngus cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
How do you make the best SimAngus cattle on a consistent basis? I've been advised to use a pure bred Angus cow and breed it to either a SimAngus or Simmental bull for the best and most consistent results. I'm having doubts about this making any noticeable difference in the calf myself. Any ideas why this is could or couldn't be true?

Grit:
I have made it a priority to annually visit at least 3 or 4 of Kentucky's better Simmental programs. All of the ones I know, use PB Simmental Bulls (including AI) on a good line of Angus cows to produce Simangus.

I've had better results on Angus cows and Simmental bulls. Most Simmental breeders have bred the milk out of these cattle along with any stature they had. Pretty hard to find a 6 or 6+ frame Simmental. Tons of Angus tho.

I am curious for details about the second part of your original post:

I'm having doubts about this making any noticeable difference in the calf myself. Any ideas why this is could or couldn't be true?

Obviously, if you are using a common Simmental Bull and you are using a common line of Angus cows regardless of them being purebred, your product will be common.

Common in = common out.
Not clear what you mean.

Bright Raven":18gf5mdq said:
Grit:
I have made it a priority to annually visit at least 3 or 4 of Kentucky's better Simmental programs. All of the ones I know, use PB Simmental Bulls (including AI) on a good line of Angus cows to produce Simangus.

I've noticed this myself and that's the reason for the question.

True Grit Farms":318mibic said:
Bright Raven":318mibic said:
Grit:

If I can use Rocking P as an example. They were originally Angus breeders. They had an excellent line of proven Angus registered cows. Larry had worked on this herd for all his life. When Chan and Keith took over the reins, they wanted to improve growth and quality. In their case, they had the girls (Angus) so they started breeding them to Simmental Bulls. Their Simangus cattle are bred to market to commercial cattle producers.

IDK, if it is a matter of convenience or whether there is a genetic reason.

Bright Raven":2287ilbf said:
True Grit Farms":2287ilbf said:
Bright Raven":2287ilbf said:
Grit:

If I can use Rocking P as an example. They were originally Angus breeders. They had an excellent line of proven Angus registered cows. Larry had worked on this herd for all his life. When Chan and Keith took over the reins, they wanted to improve growth and quality. In their case, they had the girls (Angus) so they started breeding them to Simmental Bulls. Their Simangus cattle are bred to market to commercial cattle producers.

You got the growth part right, quality your wrong. Simmental was a nothing breed till they cross it with Angus.

True Grit Farms":3eql4jdr said:
Bright Raven":3eql4jdr said:
True Grit Farms":3eql4jdr said:

You got the growth part right, quality your wrong. Simmental was a nothing breed till they cross it with Angus.

Growth was the main reason. Quality is an arbitrary word. I should say more muscle.

I want to preface my comment with the understanding that I have nothing against Simmental cattle. We had some excellent Simmental cows in the past and a number of their daughters still work in our herd. One of my favorite crosses is a Simmental and Angus. This is where I get a bit confused on the Sim Angus thing. I understand it as a cross but lose the object of it as a standalone breed. I am not saying it is wrong but would love for someone to explain to me what is the benefit of using a cross bred bull on crossbred cows? Again I am not trying to stir up anything, but would love to know what as SIM/Angus breeders your bringing to the table for the commercial cattlemen. Remember I am old and set in my ways.

gizmom

gizmom":1v5b1zxq said:
I want to preface my comment with the understanding that I have nothing against Simmental cattle. We had some excellent Simmental cows in the past and a number of their daughters still work in our herd. One of my favorite crosses is a Simmental and Angus. This is where I get a bit confused on the Sim Angus thing. I understand it as a cross but lose the object of it as a standalone breed. I am not saying it is wrong but would love for someone to explain to me what is the benefit of using a cross bred bull on crossbred cows? Again I am not trying to stir up anything, but would love to know what as SIM/Angus breeders your bringing to the table for the commercial cattlemen. Remember I am old and set in my ways.

gizmom

I have that same question. Most here use a PB bull via natural bull or semen on PB Angus cows to get their cross. I could see maybe going 7/8 th.

Some see SimAngus as a way to get commercial produces who have lived through the horrors of some of the older genetics. (The spotted, diluted bulls that sired large calves and daughters with sagging udders and pendulous teats) You can ease a person into using a PB after he or she has used a SimAngus bull and seen that the cattle have changed drastically for the better in terms of convenience then they may very well use a PB or even a FB.
I've done just this with our operation, My boss thought they(Simmental) were all crazy and hard calving and would ruin his cow herd.

gizmom":51rgg2hd said:

gizmom
I don't get it either on F-1 Braford.
Angus,Char along with Brangus and Hereford make a very consistent calf crop from my observation. You give up some vigor with the Herf and Brangus.
Neighbor has a SimAngus and he is a behemoth bull throws smalls calves the minus I see is the consistency in his calf crop. Now in all fairness he has a hodgepodge of crossbred females.

My suspicion is the answer to the question lies in the population count of each type of animal ...

How many Angus (registered or otherwise) cows are there? What about Simmental cows (FB, PB, or otherwise)?

It's simply easier to find a nice group of whatever size you want of Angus cows than Simmental cows.

True Grit Farms":25bwhp4a said:

You must not get outta georgia much. And georgia ain't known for cattle quality. :lol:

sim/fleck is said to be the 2nd most popular breed in the world.

Supa Dexta":30y1fp1i said:
True Grit Farms":30y1fp1i said:

You must not get outta georgia much. And georgia ain't known for cattle quality. :lol:

With all the traveling and field trips we do one thing sticks out. Education is very important even in the cattle business. Most if not all of the bigger outfits are owned or operated by folks with a college education. Next year we're going to Colorado for our GCA spring field trip, and I'm looking forward to it already. I really enjoy seeing how other people raise and handle their cattle. As I travel around I've learned just how small of a fish I am.

Supa Dexta":zn7uqxv6 said:
True Grit Farms":zn7uqxv6 said:

sim/fleck is said to be the 2nd most popular breed in the world.

What's the 1st?

Supa Dexta":2zsbl5kc said:
I believe its hereford? And I guess it should be populous, not popular - as I'm not really a fan.

Supra, according to Caustic and I think I read it somewhere during the discussion on Brahman; the Brahman influenced cattle are the most populous breed worldwide. I will stand corrected and I should take the time to look that up. I also highly doubt that Hereford is the second most populous.

We should ask CB. Lol

Bright Raven":2pzb2w9k said:
Supa Dexta":2pzb2w9k said:
I believe its hereford? And I guess it should be populous, not popular - as I'm not really a fan.

Supra, according to Caustic and I think I read it somewhere during the discussion on Brahman; the Brahman influenced cattle are the most populous breed worldwide. I will stand corrected and I should take the time to look that up. I also highly doubt that Hereford is the second most populous.

We should ask CB. Lol
Read it and weep

https://www.brahman.org/PDFs/Utilizing- ... ystems.pdf

Latest posts