making money with dairy heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
is there any money in buying youg heifers then selling them right before they have a calf?

Sure you can but you better have a good eye for quality calves when you buy them. Just because she's black and white doesn't make her dairy quality and if she's not dairy quality you'll do good to even break even. You can also throw in a big batch of "luck".

there used tobe money in selling springers bred or open heifers.but that margin has gotten so tight it makes a pig squel.if you dont have top end heifers to sale you may not make anymoney.most all of my friends have quit trading dairy cattle because they cant make money off them.

The heifer market isn't that great right now, but if you have the funds, and willing to do it, wouldn't hurt to try it.

I don't think you can make money on dairy heifers anymore. Since sexed semen has become available most dairies are able to generate enough heifers on their place. Sure there are some that want to expand rapidly and buy up a bunch but there are so many heifers out there (or at least that's what they keep saying) that you can't demand a good price and expect to get it. I could pick up a bunch of heavy bred heifers for $1000 right now. I don't think anybody could raise them and breed them and expect to make anything at $1000. Last time I roughly calculated my average cost to raise a heifer from birth til she entered the milking string it was over $1200 and that was with $4 corn.

Latest posts