Making Money raising Holstein Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Pieter78

Reaction score
Can a person make money raising Holstein steers ? When looking at a beef calf and dairy calf that is the same age. They both eat the same amount of feed...but the dairy calf do not weigh the same .... and the prices for the calfs at the sales barn are not the same... does anybody have any input on this ? :???:

Thanks Pieter :cboy:

i dont know if you can make any money feeding holstein steers out now or not.because a holstein has alot of frame an it takes more weight to get to butcher weight.example beef calves finish weight is 1200 to 1250lbs.where a hol finish weight might be 1300lbs or more cat finish out.

We tried it and lost our @$$. Had several die of pnemonia and like mentioned above its hard to put weight on them, they also sell alot cheaper than beef calves. I sold out and went straight feeder calves and will never own another holstein.

The holsteins looked good when you could buy them for 15-25 dollars each. I had some die but no big deal at that price. We doubled our money on the holsteins. And we don't seem to do any better now raising cow calf pairs. I am thinking about trying a few stockers myself next winter.

There is no money at all in baby Holsteins right now. The only money in Holsteins is buying them weaned at 250 to 450lbs and feeding them to 750 or 850lbs. Still then I believe there is alot better things you can buy that will make more money.

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking the same thing as what had been said but just wanted to hear it from someone else. I went to the sales barn last weekend and found that beef steers that weighed the same as holstein steers was averaging about $400 more per head.

I was raised on a dairy farm... we had some beef and about 500 sheep. I am thinking about keeping some cattle on my mother in laws farm. They only have about 80 acres.... I already have 1 cow and an heifer. The heifer will be bred this fall. The cattle are Charolais.

denvermartinfarms":31yf4d79 said:
There is no money at all in baby Holsteins right now. The only money in Holsteins is buying them weaned at 250 to 450lbs and feeding them to 750 or 850lbs.
\

1) Could be some money in buying summer calves off the farm. I have not run the numbers. Question is why.
2) Some will buy weaned calves (who grew out on "free" whole milk) and fill them with a high concentrate or by product diet. Question is do you have an angle on the byproduct cost ?
3) Their rumen seems to mature slower than beefers, but GOOD 6 wts. steins can gain 2# a day on stocker quality pasture. Question is what is their value of gain compared to a beefer ?

I went to the sale 2wks ago and 600lb beef steers where bringing around 1.70, couple holsteins that size come through and brought around .95 BIG difference.

The risk I see with holsteins is if you buy them young from the stock barn you take a big risk of them being sick already. Or, if you buy off craigslist you will pay a premium and then won't make as much of a return when you sell. I've seen 100lb holstein bull calves sell for $10 at the barn. That's not even worth the gas hauling them off IMO.

Calhoun Farm":276lqayr said:
I went to the sale 2wks ago and 600lb beef steers where bringing around 1.70, couple holsteins that size come through and brought around .95 BIG difference.

The risk I see with holsteins is if you buy them young from the stock barn you take a big risk of them being sick already. Or, if you buy off craigslist you will pay a premium and then won't make as much of a return when you sell. I've seen 100lb holstein bull calves sell for $10 at the barn. That's not even worth the gas hauling them off IMO.

Fat Holstein steers local to me were$132.50 for some that weighed 1675. If the corn backs off a bit more they will start to look better to more people.

Be very hard, if possible to feed a holstein steer to 1700lbs on corn (bought corn) and come out ahead. Not to mention how long it would take to get it to that weight.

Latest posts