Making Ethanol

Help Support CattleToday:

jfont":vrorfogd said:
MikeC":vrorfogd said:
jfont":vrorfogd said:
what does it take to make 10 quarts of mash?

The juice of a few melons. A little yeast and a little sugar.
A little yeast? A little sugar? A "few melons" ? You don't quite want to give up your secret do you!

OK. The meat of 23 large melons 4 ozs. of distillers yeast and 35 pounds of sugar. :lol:

Horticattleman":2803dcgy said:
You must have a great wife!!! If my wife saw me doing that in the kitchen...back to the camper...again.

We have a deal between us that works great.........

She don't bother me when I'm making whiskey and I don't bother her when she's mopping the floors. :lol:

MikeC":h5p3i6mi said:
jfont":h5p3i6mi said:
MikeC":h5p3i6mi said:
jfont":h5p3i6mi said:

A little yeast? A little sugar? A "few melons" ? You don't quite want to give up your secret do you!

OK. The meat of 23 large melons 4 ozs. of distillers yeast and 35 pounds of sugar. :lol:
How much water? I make wine, never tried whiskey, but if it's like wine, details are critical.

jfont":9tz1agwx said:
MikeC":9tz1agwx said:
MikeC":9tz1agwx said:

How much water? I make wine, never tried whiskey, but if it's like wine, details are critical.

Only 3 gallons of water because of the water content in melons.

I started it out as a wine but the alcohol content was pretty high so I decided to distill some. Just for kicks, I guess.

Put the remainder up in secondary fermentation vessels with airlock a few days ago. It tasted pretty good but will rack again and add sugar if needed in a few months.

We'll see.

Thanks for the info.

Oh heres an easy wine making tip. If you don't feel like smashing grapes, welches 100% juice works fine and makes a clear wine.

23 melons is a little pricey. You grow your own right?

MikeC":1qsas20t said:
jfont":1qsas20t said:

Only 3 gallons of water because of the water content in melons.

I started it out as a wine but the alcohol content was pretty high so I decided to distill some. Just for kicks, I guess.

Put the remainder up in secondary fermentation vessels with airlock a few days ago. It tasted pretty good but will rack again and add sugar if needed in a few months.

We'll see.

MikeC,

This is special agent Clampett speaking, with the ATF. (Alabama Toiletries and Fartsniffers) We'll be paying you a visit tonite to do a little "search'.How dare you offer out such instruction and not oblige us with an invite. :shock:

if this is anything like rhubarb mash then God help your heads. Oh! boy what a headache after that stuff. My ex-husband is a Lab Technician and he and a few fellow workers made a big batch once, it was so strong but lovely and sweet, it was a case of.....one two three, floor.

MikeC, I don't believe it would be cost effective for me to go to Alabama to get a load of melons. But I'm thinking trucking up a load of finished product would work. :D :D