Making butter

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
Do you need a cream separator to make butter? I am glad this is called the Beginners Board.
I you use raw milk, will the cream come to the top, can you scoop that off and put it in a butter churn to make butter or do you need a separator? What was the purpose of the separator? Is it just for skim milk?
How do they get 1% 2% ect. just by adding cream to skim milk???

Lance,

Mom made butter all the time when I was a kid and we never had a separator. The cows were always jersey and the milk was rich with cream. The only strange thing I remember about the butter is that it was almost white and not yellow like the butter you buy. I do remember her taking the cream off top after the milk had cooled and I do remember her adding salt.

I have never personally made butter myself, so I am just as interested in seeing the responses to this thread.

The cream will rise to the top after the milk has set for a while. Then you skim the cream off the top of the milk. Save the cream until you get enough to churn, the cream has to clabber before it will make butter.You put it in the churn let it set out at room tempture until it clabbers then churn it.When its churned it will gather into a ball, mon would dip the butter into a bowl and work the milk out of it, and salt to taste.

Back when I was home we would let the milk set in the spring or in a vat of water over night in the summer and skim the cream off in the morning. If you wanted sweet butter churn then. The butter was better if the cream soured. To give the butter color we would feed the milk cows pulverized corn. You can churn butter by filling a jar about 2/3 full and rocking it back and forth on your leg. I remember my grand mother churning butter this way. It would take a long time I though then , but i was only 5 or 6. Also if it was going to be used for a Sunday or special meal it was put into a butter mold, which put a design and shaped to the butter. As stated salted.

Sir Loin":3luyk2bv said:
How to make Fresh Butter Without a Separator, Without a Churn, and Without Difficulty

Thanks SL. Exactly what I would have wanted to know.

All a seperator does is get the cream more effectively and quicker. Cows milk, if the cream content is high enough the cream will naturly rise to the top. With goats milk because the cream (fat) globules are smaller a seperator is almost a must for butter making.

lancemart":wn6fvqux said:
Do you need a cream separator to make butter? I am glad this is called the Beginners Board.
I you use raw milk, will the cream come to the top, can you scoop that off and put it in a butter churn to make butter or do you need a separator?

No, you do not need a separator - the cream will rise and can be skimmed off. I believe a separator simply insures that no cream is missed. You also don't really need a butter churn - if you beat heavy whipping cream long enough, you will end up with butter.

How do they get 1% 2% ect. just by adding cream to skim milk???

Actually, 1 and 2% milk is made by subtracting cream - not adding it.

hillrancher":fg8yp0qb said:
If you wanted sweet butter churn then. You can churn butter by filling a jar about 2/3 full and rocking it back and forth on your leg. I remember my grand mother churning butter this way. It would take a long time I though then.
This is how I have done it, sweet butter in a mason jar. Takes plenty of time, but is worth it, and everyone takes turns. I add ice cubes to the jar, the water seperates out of the butter, and it goes much faster for being cold.

After milking my cow I will strain the milk through a filter into a chilled bowl. Then the next day I would skim off the cream that has risen. Now since I have a Jersey the cream was really thick and would stick to the spoon. I would put the cream into a seperate container until I had enough to churn. Now I use a blender. I would start out at a slow speed and then increase it to a higher speed. After awhile you can see the "grains" of butter forming.Alot of it will congeal in the bottom, you can stop the blender and check it. Now if you like fresh buttermilk this is the best part. I use a strainer,very small holes, and pour the buttermilk into a glass and drink right away.
YUUUMMMM. :D
Now put the butter into a clean bowl and pour cold water into it. Now start pressing the butter around using a spatula. The water will become cloudy. Pour off this water and add fresh. Now keep doing this until the water remains clear. Now you have your sweet cream butter add salt if you like and you have regular butter.
Now "washing" the butter takes quite awhile so be ready to do it for a long time. If you do not get all the milk out it will give the butter a sour taste.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts