Making a few bucks?

Help Support CattleToday:

hyp7

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a question. If I was to get a couple steers at around 200# to 300# could I feed them up to around 500# to 700# and resale them for much of a profit? I noticed that the smaller steers are only bringing around 80 to 90 cents and the bigger ones are bringing around 1.20 to 1.40 in my area. Would I only need to feed hay/alfalfa or also alittle grain.
Just a thought
thanks Gene

buying calves at 300lbs an taking them to 500lbs is a gamble.because the feed price is high.an youd have to feed them 4 months.but alot depends on how fast the calves gain weight.

If you have the feed and can buy them cheap, it may be worth the venture. It is always a gamble with calculated risk. I am over 100 head short right now.

We have been doing a few head a year. We buy from 100 to 200 pound calves, once in a while try a smaller one. A lot of the calves we get come off cows that are going to slaughter.

Be prepared for some losing some as there is a learning curve. Don't expect to get rich. On the last 20 we have raised we averaged about $.90 a day profit after expenses. That is including any losses ( 1 ), in that time frame. They take a lot of time and can go down quick. We have averaged selling at 500 pounds but been trying keeping them a little longer.

It is a slow return on your money, but we do it to supplement the calves that come off cows, trying get these to be ready to ship out at the same time. Trying to fill the trailer.