Makin Money

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Reading the post lately I wonder how a lot of you make money in the cattle business. The only way I can see is by income tax write offs.
Heck if a cow farts someone is hauling it to the vet.
Oh it's cruel to band the little bulls heck goin to knock in the head in a few months and eat em.
How much feed do I need to buy old Bessy just had a calf and is pulling down. Thats what they do converting feed to milk for that 500 dollars that hit the ground beside them.
How many cows can I run on 2 acres, you can't get a goat or dog.
Is this or that bulls bw and ww weight what I need.
What you need is a live small calf you can't sell weaning weights off a piece of paper. You have to get the calf here first.

What the HE double match sticks happened to grass run operations and cattlemen,that understood the commerical cattle industry.

They went broke in the 70's . They moved their family to town. Now the kids they had then remember the farm life and want it. Trouble is they live in town and don't own any land or cattle or equipment.

ollie":1ly0kb2u said:
They went broke in the 70's . They moved their family to town. Now the kids they had then remember the farm life and want it. Trouble is they live in town and don't own any land or cattle or equipment.

Was rough in the seventies, market went belly up. Man don't forget the bangs epidemic.

This is all just a general observation and my opinion:

I love it when a few of you guys go into a big rant about "What happened to the good old days when people knew how to run cattle and EPDs didn't matter" and so on and so forth. :lol:

Problem is, IMO you need to step forward into the future. These big "Ranches" you run, will no doubt someday be sold off to smaller farmers or sold as house lots depending on your location. It's sad to say, but still the truth. It seems that some of you forget that the group of farmers that produce the most beef in this country are not the ones who run thousands of acres or thousands of cows. It's us little guys. You know, the ones with all the dumb questions?? :D

You guys out west may not see it as much as we do here, but land development doesn't allow us to purchase large tracts of land. Mainly because it's just not for sale. You all will experience this too as the population grows and there is a demand to turn your ranches into inhabitable building sites. It's coming, maybe not in some of your lifetimes, but I'm sure it will in mine.

Now, I know that some of you are very wise in the ways of bovine, and for that we are grateful, but not everyone has had the privilege of being a farmer or rancher all their life. Does that mean that the newbies can't try to make a go of it? I don't think so. I'd say they've got just as much right to try it as you all did 20, 30 or 40 yrs ago. Things have changed since then. Farming practices are different than they used to be. The basics are the same, but science and technology provide a lot more knowledge to the average farmer than they did even 10 yrs ago.

Sorry to be so long winded. I like to hear stories about how things used to be. But I also like to think that I'm heading my operation into the future. I'm not planning on being the biggest producer out there, and I probably won't have the best cattle in the world, but I'll sweat and bleed and have some fun along the way, and that's what will make it worth while.

I'd like to close with part of the chorus from an old country song. I'm sure some of you will recognize it and be humming along the rest of the day.

"Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble. When your perfect in every way........"

Have a good one!

Thanks Dun. I couldn't remember who sang it. I here it quite often on the "saturday morning oldies show" that I listen to when I get the chance.

Caustic Burno":1zcjqmff said:
Reading the post lately I wonder how a lot of you make money in the cattle business. The only way I can see is by income tax write offs.
Heck if a cow farts someone is hauling it to the vet.
Oh it's cruel to band the little bulls heck goin to knock in the head in a few months and eat em.
How much feed do I need to buy old Bessy just had a calf and is pulling down. Thats what they do converting feed to milk for that 500 dollars that hit the ground beside them.
How many cows can I run on 2 acres, you can't get a goat or dog.
Is this or that bulls bw and ww weight what I need.
What you need is a live small calf you can't sell weaning weights off a piece of paper. You have to get the calf here first.

What the HE double match sticks happened to grass run operations and cattlemen,that understood the commerical cattle industry.

I'd guess many larger operations aren't taking part in these boards. Newcomers find these boards informative and helpfull. I myself find them entertaining and humerous at times and don't mind helping other people. Someone helped me get started eons ago.

D.R. Cattle":1etm2btb said:
I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better looking each day.

to know me is to love me...i must be a hell of a man :shock: :shock:

hubby sang this in his truck on our first date....hmmmm.....should have taken the hint then, huh?? ;-)
as for making any money on ranching...hell, if it were that easy, i would not be working overtime as a nurse just to put food on the table...but, also would not have it any other way..hubby is doing what he does best and what he LOVES!!

El_Putzo":188xcu37 said:
This is all just a general observation and my opinion:

I love it when a few of you guys go into a big rant about "What happened to the good old days when people knew how to run cattle and EPDs didn't matter" and so on and so forth. :lol:

Problem is, IMO you need to step forward into the future. These big "Ranches" you run, will no doubt someday be sold off to smaller farmers or sold as house lots depending on your location. It's sad to say, but still the truth. It seems that some of you forget that the group of farmers that produce the most beef in this country are not the ones who run thousands of acres or thousands of cows. It's us little guys. You know, the ones with all the dumb questions?? :D

You guys out west may not see it as much as we do here, but land development doesn't allow us to purchase large tracts of land. Mainly because it's just not for sale. You all will experience this too as the population grows and there is a demand to turn your ranches into inhabitable building sites. It's coming, maybe not in some of your lifetimes, but I'm sure it will in mine.

Now, I know that some of you are very wise in the ways of bovine, and for that we are grateful, but not everyone has had the privilege of being a farmer or rancher all their life. Does that mean that the newbies can't try to make a go of it? I don't think so. I'd say they've got just as much right to try it as you all did 20, 30 or 40 yrs ago. Things have changed since then. Farming practices are different than they used to be. The basics are the same, but science and technology provide a lot more knowledge to the average farmer than they did even 10 yrs ago.

Sorry to be so long winded. I like to hear stories about how things used to be. But I also like to think that I'm heading my operation into the future. I'm not planning on being the biggest producer out there, and I probably won't have the best cattle in the world, but I'll sweat and bleed and have some fun along the way, and that's what will make it worth while.

I'd like to close with part of the chorus from an old country song. I'm sure some of you will recognize it and be humming along the rest of the day.

"Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble. When your perfect in every way........"

Have a good one!
Might I ask who your talking to?

Not pointing the finger at any one person. Just making a general observation.

I agree to an extent that some questions are elementary to some of us, but to other's, it is new knowledge. My only request is that when we come across a post that seems like a "dumb question", that we either 1) provide an answer in a sincere tone, that we could understand if we were the person asking the question, or 2) don't answer at all.

I know some are probably thinking "this guy is a real baby". That's fine if they think that, it doesn't really bother me. I just think that being courteous is not that hard to do. Plus, you can catch more flies with honey!
Maybe I was just raised a little different than everyone else, but it's gotten me this far, so I think I'll stick with it.

I personally like hearing about the "good ole days" because it makes me feel as if I'm doing somethings right. I grew up with cattle and do not remember ever hearing my dad and grandpa talking about BW,WW,EPD,etc. Then again, my dad is very old fashioned and girls did not belong out in the pasture, field, etc. With grandpa, 2 uncles, dad, and his 3 sons though, I wasn't really needed there. Mom only had me to help her with the house, garden, canning, laundry, etc. This then explains any dumb questions I may ask here.

Now, I do wonder some about things like BW,WW,EPD,etc. because I know how hard it is to make a living with cattle. I would LOVE to be able to not have to work in town. We do make some money by doing like the "good ole days" but not enough to make my wish come true. Sometimes I wonder if I buckled down and learned all this "new" stuff, could I make my dream come true? It's possible that others are trying to do the same.

I have sit out of this squabble, but I might as well put in my two cents worth. The ones of us that were around cattle in the 70's ( even though I was a young lad ) saw the cattle market bottom out. We learned to treat them as best as we could. We called the vet when It was over our heads. But most of the time we treated them with whatever we thought best. We made mistakes, but we also made money. This is a very diversified board. Some folks are dairymen others are purebred this or that. Some come from areas with green pastures nearly yearround. Some come from area's with snow as much as green grass. Different areas have differant diseases and parasites. There are stockers, cowcalf, and bulls only here. Not to mention what direction each person is trying to take thier herd. What works for me in Alabama will not work for some of our friends up north. As far as the questions I don't think anyone minds them. At one point we were all newbes. I have learned a lot from the people on this board, newbes included. I think the biggest thing that is getting some feathers rustled up is some folks giving advice that should be listening. Granted a lot of new technology has changed over the years but cattle still get born, eat, grow, and die. Most of the time in that order. A lot of new medications and methods have came into play in the last 20 years. But raising cattle has changed very little over this time. Their is a magic formula for making money on cattle. Its getting more out of them than you have in them. How this is done will change from area to area. A lot of the old timers know what works and are hardpressed to change. Myself included. If we put the exact amound of fertilizer, sew the best grass at the suggested rate, give all the suggested meds, and did everything by someone elses book we would all loose on our cattle. If we did everthing by their book the feed, drug, fertlizer, mineral, etc... companies would be getting all the profit. If an old timer has been in the business for at least 30 years, you can bet he has made some mistakes. He has learned from those mistakes as well or he would not still be in the business. I take what they say in very high reqards. The biggest thing to think about is. Does it apply to me. What area, what operation, ( farm, ranch, or hobby.. call it what you want he don't really care ), what are his goals. Those should be considered. If it worked for him, chances are it will work for me. I will add as well, to be politically correct, there are some intelligent cattle women on this board as well. I think this board is great for someone getting in to the business. But doing a little searching will save some of the bickering over a question that has been answered a hundred times over. Sorry but I have never been one to surpress my opions, right or wrong.

Bama":2520qwqj said:
I have sit out of this squabble, but I might as well put in my two cents worth. The ones of us that were around cattle in the 70's ( even though I was a young lad ) saw the cattle market bottom out. We learned to treat them as best as we could. We called the vet when It was over our heads. But most of the time we treated them with whatever we thought best. We made mistakes, but we also made money. This is a very diversified board. Some folks are dairymen others are purebred this or that. Some come from areas with green pastures nearly yearround. Some come from area's with snow as much as green grass. Different areas have differant diseases and parasites. There are stockers, cowcalf, and bulls only here. Not to mention what direction each person is trying to take thier herd. What works for me in Alabama will not work for some of our friends up north. As far as the questions I don't think anyone minds them. At one point we were all newbes. I have learned a lot from the people on this board, newbes included. I think the biggest thing that is getting some feathers rustled up is some folks giving advice that should be listening. Granted a lot of new technology has changed over the years but cattle still get born, eat, grow, and die. Most of the time in that order. A lot of new medications and methods have came into play in the last 20 years. But raising cattle has changed very little over this time. Their is a magic formula for making money on cattle. Its getting more out of them than you have in them. How this is done will change from area to area. A lot of the old timers know what works and are hardpressed to change. Myself included. If we put the exact amound of fertilizer, sew the best grass at the suggested rate, give all the suggested meds, and did everything by someone elses book we would all loose on our cattle. If we did everthing by their book the feed, drug, fertlizer, mineral, etc... companies would be getting all the profit. If an old timer has been in the business for at least 30 years, you can bet he has made some mistakes. He has learned from those mistakes as well or he would not still be in the business. I take what they say in very high reqards. The biggest thing to think about is. Does it apply to me. What area, what operation, ( farm, ranch, or hobby.. call it what you want he don't really care ), what are his goals. Those should be considered. If it worked for him, chances are it will work for me. I will add as well, to be politically correct, there are some intelligent cattle women on this board as well. I think this board is great for someone getting in to the business. But doing a little searching will save some of the bickering over a question that has been answered a hundred times over. Sorry but I have never been one to surpress my opions, right or wrong.

Smart young man I am confident you will be sucessful, you have got your head screwd on right.

El_Putzo":1lueintv said:
Not pointing the finger at any one person. Just making a general observation.

I agree to an extent that some questions are elementary to some of us, but to other's, it is new knowledge. My only request is that when we come across a post that seems like a "dumb question", that we either 1) provide an answer in a sincere tone, that we could understand if we were the person asking the question, or 2) don't answer at all.

I know some are probably thinking "this guy is a real baby". That's fine if they think that, it doesn't really bother me. I just think that being courteous is not that hard to do. Plus, you can catch more flies with honey!
Maybe I was just raised a little different than everyone else, but it's gotten me this far, so I think I'll stick with it.
So, I guess my question to you is 1. Did you provide an answer in a sincere tone? 2. Not answer at all. I believe I answered the original question in a sincere tone. Could it be all the "posse" bashing is really grandstanding by people wanting attention? How did my answer sound like I thought caustics question was dumb? I really think you're the uncurtious one in this thread. If you think you were raised different, I wouldn't use that as an excuse, over come it.... I guess I just don't get what your trying to say.Does caustic not have the right to say he thinks people are overeacting ? I think by you inserting the epd discussion where it wasn't mentioned you are trying to be inflamitory. May be just me but I think some of you new guys have changed the tone of the board. When Frankie and I go at an epd discussion I don't think it made us enemies. I have been very sharp tongued with LA4angus, Certherfbeef, Txag, Campground, and probably others. Since you're new you think all these guys and me are just ganging up on you. Could it be we already know our differences and discuss them in private? I am eager to hear how I have got it wrong.

caustiic
all of you take this to heed!
my grandfather had a ranch in nebraska incuding leases on school land trusts
totaled dad gumed near 18000 acres and ran close to 1500 head of herfords, unfiornatly he passed away with no will!!!buy the time the state/feds got done taking their share what was worth a few million was down to selling the remaining cattle to pay for funeral expenes.what was left of a true old style ranch is now owned by a bunch of very cluless people
let's do lunch and talk about it!!
gosh i feel like a steak lets go to the steak house
does the steak house have cocktails?
good lets meet in the bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

memanpa":3efi5ch4 said:
caustiic
all of you take this to heed!
my grandfather had a ranch in nebraska incuding leases on school land trusts
totaled dad gumed near 18000 acres and ran close to 1500 head of herfords, unfiornatly he passed away with no will!!!buy the time the state/feds got done taking their share what was worth a few million was down to selling the remaining cattle to pay for funeral expenes.what was left of a true old style ranch is now owned by a bunch of very cluless people
let's do lunch and talk about it!!
gosh i feel like a steak lets go to the steak house
does the steak house have cocktails?
good lets meet in the bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have seen it already all I'm tryin to tell these young frilly cowmen is they better get a head puller if they think this market is going to hold. He!! half your profits are fixin to be eat up by fuel. Everyone is after your dollar fetilizer, feed,vet, salebarn etc. Bottom doesn't have to fall out of the market if you aint cow savy and dollar smart to go belly up.
Puzto I might be old school,amazing I am still in business. Son I hope you can grow them four cows into a herd and are successful.

Frilly Nuthin. Gotta watch every Dollar. what goes up, must come down,where will the "Frilly Cowman" end up? yep they're all after every buck, no matter what it is you need, I'm just out to produce the best, highest quality cattle I can.If markets go up higher, well I'm still going to hold onto my cattle, if they take a dive. I'll still be there... it's in my blood.I'll keep producing no matter what. We've all been thru the good times, and all rode out the bad.Right now times are good, marketwise, BUT you better have a savvy game plan for what may lie ahead.

Latest posts