make money

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3990hmc8 said:
cross_7":3990hmc8 said:
i know a guy that bought a piece of property in 1972 for 49000.00
sold it in 2010 for 221000.00
at first i thought that was a great return until i began to figure what the 49000.00 would be worth had he invested it at 5% or 7% for a 40 year period.

He would have had almost 350,000 with it sitting in CD's at 5%
He would have 350 k if he had the 49,k to put in but if he payed notes it would be a different story ...

cross_7":3iz2nrom said:
JSCATTLE":3iz2nrom said:
I guess I'm hard headed. But I'd take the lower return on a real property . Mostly because I don't believe in or trust our gov. 401 s ira s etc depends on the government payin what they owe...just like buying gold many people buy gold certificates or notes instead of real gold... That's something else I wouldn't do.

your title to ownership it only as strong as the government
At least I'd have something to fight for ...

JSCATTLE":19hxo64o said:
I guess I'm hard headed. But I'd take the lower return on a real property . Mostly because I don't believe in or trust our gov. 401 s ira s etc depends on the government payin what they owe...just like buying gold many people buy gold certificates or notes instead of real gold... That's something else I wouldn't do.
JS I agree, I have a diverse portfolio, stocks, IRAs, municipal bonds, land, and cattle. Ten years ago was a completely different market. The rates of return that the market used to realize are a thing of the past, everything that happens now affects the global market. I just don't see it ever being like it once was. I'll take the tangible assets in today's market.

JSCATTLE":lsqe3ipq said:

Think back to Rita it was mass panic when plastic didn't work and the public couldn't get goods.
Read up on the economic collapse of Argentina, plum scary. It has all the ear mark's of us today.
You don't own the land you rent it, if you don't believe that just stop paying the taxes.

JSCATTLE":1jupid31 said:
cross_7":1jupid31 said:
JSCATTLE":1jupid31 said:

your title to ownership it only as strong as the government
At least I'd have something to fight for ...

i agree with you i feel like land is a better investment than stocks or gold but the reality there is no safety in anything.
at least for now if the shtf you can always live off the land, but there will come a time when the people in power control the land, water, crops and what you are allowed to do with it.

Only the folks with money in the bank can pay our deficit back. Nobody else can afford to, we can't just keep printing money. If the USA doesen't change the POTUS, folks with money are going to lose some of it.

highgrit":1aacbk7z said:
Only the folks with money in the bank can pay our deficit back. Nobody else can afford to, we can't just keep printing money. If the USA doesen't change the POTUS, folks with money are going to lose some of it.

nothing is going to improve.
human nature, pure and simple greed.
look at the human race, as a whole we are a destructive species.
we lie, cheat, steal and worse to get what we want.
as we live we use up our resouces and leave destruction behind

cross_7":q3jcokwi said:
highgrit":q3jcokwi said:

It wont change unless we do something about it. I'll guarantee you this wouldn't have happened to the WWII generation. It's up to you, me, and others to get involved and make a difference. IT CAN IMPROVE

Isomade":qpa0u7wj said:
cross_7":qpa0u7wj said:
highgrit":qpa0u7wj said:

It wont change unless we do something about it. I'll guarantee you this wouldn't have happened to the WWII generation. It's up to you, me, and others to get involved and make a difference. IT CAN IMPROVE

the crooks out number us by quite a margin and they are also the ones in power.

1. Vote! 2. Those crooks you speak of are also deathly afraid of guns ;-) , they are only as powerful as we the people let them be. 3. They do not outnumber us, the national media has pulled the wool over our eyes so we will feel hopeless. I will not conform.

Isomade":o9ueh6s6 said:
cross_7":o9ueh6s6 said:
highgrit":o9ueh6s6 said:

I will Amen the WWII generation. America's decline started with the loss of their leadership. It was replaced with draft dodgers that didn't inhale and has been going downhill ever since.
Second the great discussion.

As a young person, 25, it was very hard for me to invest in " the market ". It was like investing in Never Land with Peter Pan. For a young person, next to starting thier own business, its the best way to grow and develope wealth. It has good returns long term and requires minimal capital to get in the game.

Cattle and land both require a significant capital investment with low returns. That tends to lend better to people with age who have some wealth built up. Maybe one of these days... :cowboy:

Good discussion. :D

Brute 23":1eugmzbb said:
As a young person, 25, it was very hard for me to invest in " the market ". It was like investing in Never Land with Peter Pan. For a young person, next to starting thier own business, its the best way to grow and develope wealth. It has good returns long term and requires minimal capital to get in the game.

Cattle and land both require a significant capital investment with low returns. That tends to lend better to people with age who have some wealth built up. Maybe one of these days... :cowboy:

I have made a lot more on stock on Wall Street than I ever made out of stock in a pasture.

Brute 23":3dxrfis6 said:

There used to be a lot of maw and paw businesses all over town. You speak of young person starting a business. The playing field is not nearly as level as it was back when.

I still shop at maw and paw buinesses for gasoline and other such items. It costs a few more nickels. No doubt about it. But those folks are glad to see me when I walk in. Maybe it strokes my ego? I like to think I am not a person of greed such as cross describes above.

Isomade":ag2yai1d said:
Anyone have a clue what this thread was originally about? :lol:

Making money.

As a society we have gone from:

"you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours"

To:

"you scratch my back, I'll stab yours"

Thankfully there are still some really good folks out there. Apparently here in this forum too.