Make a living off Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

If I was single it would be hard for me not to give it a shot . I'd have a high fenced hunting and cattle operation . I would evaluate my pasture and bale everything this summer that could be baled . Sell it and use the money to buy cows . Let them graze the stockpiled part that couldn't be baled . Hire someone to hay the cows over winter while your back at school . You could get someone that will work for a place to stay and a little cash . Keep doing that until you have a heard and then start on the high fence . Put some exotics axis fallow pigs in it and sell bow hunts . That's exactly what I would be doing now if I didn't have a family to worry about . You can quit teaching in a few years and retire to a fully operational ranch .

Speaking from experience, it can be done. I just retied in October 2012. Taught school, was a student organization advisor, served on the school council, raised tobacco and beef cattle for twenty-eight years. Still raise beef cattle but quite tobacco; couldn't find workers.

The key is finding or hiring someone reliable to help you oversee the operation. As a high school teacher, I was never able to leave immediately when a heifer was struggling to calve or a
thunderstorm was forecast for the same time that school released with 50 acres of hay ready to bale.

I was lucky to have a brother whose farm joined mine. We helped each other all the time and he keep an eye on my place while I was at school.

If you don't have an available relative; check with the Agriculture Department at the local high school to see if they might know of a local farmer that might want some extra earnings helping you part-time.