Major events during my lifetime

Help Support CattleToday:

I spent most of 1983 up there in the blast zone of Mt St Helen bucking up the blow down. I cut the last strip on the upper Green River where the river ran into standing timber. It was pretty surreal. Everything was blown over headed down stream. Douglas firs that were 8 feet in diameter laid down like you combed the valley. Then within 300 feet or so the timber was all standing and green. The blast just lifted up. Upstream for miles everything was blown flat and them suddenly everything was a green virgin forest. The valley is probably 4 or 5 miles across from ridge top to ridge top and the elevation difference from the valley floor to the ridge tops has to be at least 2,000 feet. But you could just about draw a straight line from one ridge to the other where the blast lifted.

Hurricanes: Fredrick, which took out most of my family farm, not to mention the gulf coast, Katrina, It wiped out everything on the coast of Mississippi. I rode that storm out 2 blocks from the beach. Oklahoma City Bombing, 9-11, Gulf War, Afkanistan conflict, Clinton getting elected twice, Obummer getting elected twice, Gay Marriage made legal, Our freedom being stripped every day.

The Good: 2 of my kids accepting Christ as their personal Lord and savior, the 3 of them being born, building a house as we speak. just to name a few.

Now that I am well into middle-age, I think about where I am in life compared to what I thought my life would be when I was in my teens and early 20's. My life is different in many ways from what I expected; in some things it is better and in others it is not as good as I imagined.

Life sure can throw us some curve balls. In general I am not sure if we do a good enough job preparing our young people for what life may throw at them. I'm not sure how to prepare them other than to be a good example of how to handle the curve-balls, and to talk to them about our challenges and remind them that they will experience many curve-balls in their lifetimes too.

Answered prayers has helped me through the rough times.

Interesting thread! Some historical events I can remember very well, others not so much.

I was alive when Kennedy was assassinated but too little to understand what was going on.
But when Reagan got shot, that made an impact. Especially later when it came out how seriously injured he was.
Watching the moon landings on tv. It seemed like we would be living the Jetsons life soon after. I'm still waiting for my flying car!
I wish I had paid more attention to the Watergate proceedings. It was just too long, drawn out and boring at that age.
I remember very well when the space shuttle Challenger exploded. Those flights had gotten to seem routine so when the radio broke in with the "special report" it was quite shocking and sad.
Bringing down the Berlin wall. I had a piece of it, supposedly, but have lost track of it. A co-worker who was in the reserves gave it to me.
Bombing at the Oklahoma federal building, and then finding out it was a homegrown crazy who did it. Horrifying.
9/11 - was already watching the coverage on tv when the 2nd plane came in. Up until that point it had seemed like a terrible accident. Then seeing the towers collapse, one after the other. Just a sick hollow feeling I will never forget.

Personally, one of the biggest events in life was becoming a grandma. Of course I was happy and proud to be a mom, too, but something about grandkids is just extra special. You get all the joy without all the responsibility and work.
Two friends that were really close have passed away already and I still miss them, think about them and mourn for all those years of life they have missed out on.

No one has mentioned Elvis or the Beatles, and culturally those two were off the charts big. The time Elvis was on the Sullivan show was called "the hour when not a single hubcap was stolen in America". There was a time when young punks stole hubcaps. Because you could sell a hubcap, especially a fancy one. Leave your fancy car in the street parking in any big city and your hubcaps would walk.
The Beatles were "next level" and sadly responsible for the culture we have today.

john250":39ty5d8e said:
Leave your fancy car in the street parking in any big city and your hubcaps would walk.

Had a '78 chevy pick up with saddle tanks. Bought it new. I couldn't keep the gas caps for it. I filled up and went on a date to the stock yards in Fort Worth. Lost both caps with one tank full of gas and running out every time I turned.

john250":29udj96d said:
No one has mentioned Elvis or the Beatles, and culturally those two were off the charts big. The time Elvis was on the Sullivan show was called "the hour when not a single hubcap was stolen in America". There was a time when young punks stole hubcaps. Because you could sell a hubcap, especially a fancy one. Leave your fancy car in the street parking in any big city and your hubcaps would walk.
The Beatles were "next level" and sadly responsible for the culture we have today.

Say what? The Beatles music was a reflection of what was already happening in society and also the changes the individuals in the band were going thru.

If music had that much influence we could all go around singing hymns and patriotic songs and cure society, no?

shaneb":25ahc53x said:
Hurricanes: Fredrick, which took out most of my family farm, not to mention the gulf coast, Katrina, It wiped out everything on the coast of Mississippi. I rode that storm out 2 blocks from the beach. Oklahoma City Bombing, 9-11, Gulf War, Afkanistan conflict, Clinton getting elected twice, Obummer getting elected twice, Gay Marriage made legal, Our freedom being stripped every day.

The Good: 2 of my kids accepting Christ as their personal Lord and savior, the 3 of them being born, building a house as we speak. just to name a few.

I have a few major Canes under the belt as well Audry 1957 Carla 1961 Rita 2005 Ike 2008 and a pile of little
ones. Carla and Rita were bad to the bone.

MO_cows":46w3ehar said:
john250":46w3ehar said:

Say what? The Beatles music was a reflection of what was already happening in society and also the changes the individuals in the band were going thru.

If music had that much influence we could all go around singing hymns and patriotic songs and cure society, no?

Respectfully disagree.
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds legitimized psychedelics. All you need is love was an anthem to promiscuity. In the years following, society got lots of both.

john250":2ufcjtxt said:
MO_cows":2ufcjtxt said:
john250":2ufcjtxt said:

Respectfully disagree.
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds legitimized psychedelics. All you need is love was an anthem to promiscuity. In the years following, society got lots of both.

I think you may be assuming cause and effect where they don't exist.

Caustic Burno":172uxprm said:
shaneb":172uxprm said:

I have a few major Canes under the belt as well Audry 1957 Carla 1961 Rita 2005 Ike 2008 and a pile of little
ones. Carla and Rita were bad to the bone.

We were just outside of Orange, TX (Little Cypress) when Carla hit. I was a small child but remember it.

Latest posts