maintainer cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A maintainer is just a MaineX. If I remember correctly, htey are less than half but more than a quarter, but I'm really not sure.

Frankie":zttgnaiz said:
I think they're a Maine-Angus, red or black, cross. Here's the website.

http://www.maine-anjou.org/
A Maintainer is just a Maine X anything. I think Cowboy is right about it being a certain % or less though. I was speaking to a girl about them yesterday and she was telling me something along those lines.

Jay

You can have X bred cattle with a minimum of 1/4 blood maine. Obivously the sire or damn can be of different breeds.Mainetainers show seperately at sanctioned shows. Registration colors are different color than purebred. The organization offers an upgrading chart as you breed for higher percentage maine's. :cboy:

OH Breeder":3sfexdm2 said:
You can have X bred cattle with a minimum of 1/4 blood maine. Obivously the sire or be nice can be of different breeds.Mainetainers show seperately at sanctioned shows. Registration colors are different color than purebred. The organization offers an upgrading chart as you breed for higher percentage maine's. :cboy:

I thought it was 1/4, but if they are 1/2 and above they are considered maines, but they have to be 3/4 to show at the majors.

Maines papered as Mainetainers or Maine. YOu have to have a min of .25 to register and you get Mainetainer papers. Once you hit 3/4 blood the papers change and they become maine. I may be wrong but that is what i have in my little herd book.SOme shows have high percent and low percent.

Cowboy 2.0":l3ayergx said:
I thought it was 1/4, but if they are 1/2 and above they are considered maines, but they have to be 3/4 to show at the majors.

I saw a maintainer show listed in the NAILE book.

certherfbeef":gzn1j7l5 said:
Cowboy 2.0":gzn1j7l5 said:

I saw a maintainer show listed in the NAILE book.

At some of the big shows, they have a seperate show, but at the junior shows in Texas, they have to be 3/4 to show.

At some of the big shows, they have a seperate show, but at the junior shows in Texas, they have to be 3/4 to show.[/quote]
For mainetainer they do not have to be 3/4. Mainetainers are percentage maine. It was a program started to recognize Maine Genetics etc. Most every show has a mainetainer class. If you want to show as a maine yes they must be 3/4 blood or higher.

OH Breeder":jbw6yine said:
At some of the big shows, they have a seperate show, but at the junior shows in Texas, they have to be 3/4 to show.
For mainetainer they do not have to be 3/4. Mainetainers are percentage maine. It was a program started to recognize Maine Genetics etc. Most every show has a mainetainer class. If you want to show as a maine yes they must be 3/4 blood or higher.[/quote]That's what Cowboy is saying. Here in Texas we have no Mainetainer class. To show as a Maine here, it must be 3/4 blood or more. Otherwise it's an AOB.

When's the last time you have seen or heard of these? I'd never even heard of em till last week. I'll say this ...I bet there are some good show cows for sale in these times that may be a long term bargain for genetics or a bust in the field :)

Latest posts