Maines

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am working on a semster topic for my beef cattle class where I have to put together a profilo on the Maine breed. I have been working on this project since january and I still need a lot more informantion. I was wondering if yall had any informantion on this breed. I have already contated the Maine breeders assocation and a few local ranchers around my school. I would like to get some other breeders pro's and con's on this breed and if they like the crossbreeding program aka the mainetainer program set up by the maine assoc. Any other informantion yall may have will help ALOT! Thank you in advance you may e mail me at [email protected]

Shawndelle Williams :D

Shawndelle
Although I've never ran Maine cattle, I have several friends and neighbors that have and do run Maine-Angus cross. Most are looking to add a few pounds and a little muscling to their calves- the drawback I hear from them is the sometimes high birthweights and a few calving problems- Also once in awhile the calves will come out with white on them. Also the Maine and most continentals don't seem to have the vigor in the calves that the straight angus do- when you're calving when its 20 below they have to have a will to live and be able to jump up and be sucking a couple minutes after being born.

I use a Maine X Angus cross bull. The calves start out growing slow but take off like a rocket later. They can finish quite large. I hear mature Maine bulls can go 3000 lbs. I'm happy with mine, but have trouble keeping him cool in the Summer. He's a gentle giant too, eats right out of your hand.

D.R. Cattle":2zqx5yav said:
I use a Maine X Angus cross bull. The calves start out growing slow but take off like a rocket later. They can finish quite large. I hear mature Maine bulls can go 3000 lbs. I'm happy with mine, but have trouble keeping him cool in the Summer. He's a gentle giant too, eats right out of your hand.
remember that Maines growing rate really increases after 18 months old

D.R. Cattle":2fa4iue7 said:

Is your only herd bull?

i work for a guy periodically and we always seem to have problems with calving but his bull does have a high bw epd so that could be part of it but they are very docile which to me is one of the most important things in a herd.

joe

CopeMan":2kppzno0 said:
D.R. Cattle":2kppzno0 said:

Is your only herd bull?

No a few straight Angus also. The Maine Angus is black with white face and throws show quality calves, but this is a bit blocky for order fillers. They seem to like calves a bit lanky. A little room for improvement in the commercial department, or offer a few as clubbies to make up for it. My avatar is one of his calves. A lot bigger than the calves out of the Angus bulls.

i dont know anything about cattle but i went online to see what would happen if i put my name into google and it sent me to this website so i thought that i would let you know that im a complete gomer for looking it up and that we have the same name

Latest posts