Maines/Club Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

capparelli

Reaction score
I have been told by a few people that Maines usually don't milk very well. I was wondering if that's true for the most part. I am looking at two heifers out of Who Made Who that are bred to Ali. They are really nice, I was just wondering how Who cows usually do as momma cows. I will probably be showing their calves if they are nice quality. I have been showing cows for the past 6 years but have never shown any Maines. When I am done showing I usually put my cows out to pasture to raise calves, they dont remain show heifers forever. I was just wondering how Maine X cows usually do out in the pasture. Any info/advice would be appreciated.

i have heard that who mothers are good but before you buy those heifers watch their structure because who throws a lot of cripples

richburg102":fxt0rwur said:
i have heard that who mothers are good but before you buy those heifers watch their structure because who throws a lot of cripples
only when bred to the wrong cow. And are there really a lot? no. It's just be whine about one bad calf more than the praise the 30 that are perfectly sound.

Capparelli,

The Maine-Anjou breed became official between the Maine and Anjou river valleys of France in 1909. The first Maine-Anjou cattle in North America were imported into Canada in 1969. The original Fullblood Maine-Anjou were Red and White, with a white triangle on the forehead. These cattle were used as a dual purpose breed, with the cows used for milk production, and the bulls fed for market. Many farms used every other cow to raise two calves, and milk the other. So, to answer your question; Yes, Fullblood Maine-Anjou cattle are very good milking cows.
The American Maine-Anjou Association recognizes Purebred cattle as those registered above 75%. Most of these are now black, containing as little as 1/32 Angus genetics. Maintainer cattle are those registered 25% to 62.5%.

The Who Made Who heifers you are considering could be as little as 25% Maine-Anjou, assuming they are registered. Many Who heifers have become tremendous cows, many horrendous, and most somewhere in between.

To question is good. Please consider the Breeder of these calves. Does he have some history? Is he regarded by others as reputable? Question him about the genetic background of these Who Made Who heifers. If there are more than 3 breeds in the genetic make-up of the heifers, or if he cannot give you registration identification, I would stay clear of the heifers. They might be just too much of a mess.

*Cowgirl*":28014l42 said:
richburg102":28014l42 said:
only when bred to the wrong cow. And are there really a lot? no. It's just be whine about one bad calf more than the praise the 30 that are perfectly sound.

im not saying that every calf he throws is a cripple i have just heard and actually witnessed a couple who steers go crippled......so ya if you do breed them to the right cow they will be alright but i was just warning him to watch their structure so that he doesnt buy one that does go crippled

Latest posts